1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peptide T for XMRV

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by julius, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Knackered

Knackered Guest

There's a place in Hungary that sells it for €35/mg.

Am I right in thinking if the patent expires anyone can make it?
  2. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Yes, anyone can make it. But it has to be approved first.
    Big pharma don't want you and I taking medicine that they don't make money from, so they will definitely try to block the approval somehow. Then they will develop a less effective medicine with a really ugly side effect profile so they can profit off us.
  3. Knackered

Knackered Guest

What about those Indian pharmaceutical companies who make generics?
  4. ukme

ukme Senior Member

Wow this is really interesting. But I don't understand why Peptide T was pushed under the carpet in the first place when it could have helped so many people and by consequence, made lots of money for the manufacturers. It just doesn't make sense to me at all.
    I would love to hear from anyone who has tried it....
  5. Katie

Katie Guest

6. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Katie, looks like it was patented for MS and HTLV-I. Please do post the dates
  7. Katie

Katie Guest

This is what I've learnt from the website, I'm still not 100% sure I'm looking at the right thing because I have no idea how drug patents work, for example could NICE do their own version, but here's what I've gleaned.

1. The patent was issued on 11th Nov 1997 and will expire 8th November 2015. The patent was applied for in August 1995 and they were awarded a 20year patent.

2. The patent is listed as "US Patent 5686417 - Peptide T and related peptides in the treatment of HTLV-1 myelopathy and multiple sclerosis"

3. It is patented abroad and internationally.

4. This is what it claims to do in MS and HTLV-1

It looks like we've got just short of six years before generics but if they were mass producing this for XMRV+ves then the price would come down.

I've bolded the mention of myelopathy, especially due to what the M in ME stands for. I feel I still know to little about medical science to give an informed opinion but whether myelopathy is XMRV related or not, this may have the potential to tackle neurological symptoms and inflammation of the spinal cord.
  8. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Composition for the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome

I found it!!!!!!!! Here's the patent that describes the clinical trial that Judy mentioned. It's in a google patent format &/or pdf, but the text is scanned and cannot be copied/pasted. I've snipped the more relevant sections to make for easier reading/discussing.

Composition for the treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Katie

Katie Guest

Brilliant find Kim, it seems that they were hoping that Peptide T would effect HHV-6 but although there was an improvement in symptoms (most of them self reported which isn't wholly reliable) HHV-6 wasn't touched. It was doing something though, this is going to be a very good thing to keep an eye on.

This doesn't relate to the patent but finding the original study trumps finding a patent anyway ;)
  10. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    They quote our man in this 2003 study in the journal Peptides.
  11. julius

Canada
  12. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

When you go to google patents, there is a link at the upper right side of the screen for "Plain Text".
  13. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Duh...wish I knew that before I :ashamed: snipped all of those quotes...

Thanks cfs since 1998 :(
  14. Knackered

Knackered Guest

That's on a per order basis too, if it's mass produced the price will plummet and become affordable to everyone.
  15. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing and thanks too for the prices found.

So 3mg a day, for one month = 90mg ... and 100mg is $60 at >80% purity...

A three month trial of this would be $180 or 116 = $60 a month/39 a month...

(Overseas shipping would have to be factored in to those outside of the states of course)

Hmmmmm!!
  16. julius

Canada
    The prices on that one are 'per residue'. I am not really sure what that means and I'm hoping for someone to 'splain it. But I think that when they synthesize it, there are several 'residues'.
  17. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Hi Julius,

Well spotted! I thought it meant for a whole chain :(

Residues are just another name for the linked amino acids in the peptide chain.

Peptide T has 8, so hmmm 8 x $60/39 a month jumps it up to $480/312 a month.

I think I could stretch to about 2 hours worth ;)
  18. guest

guest Guest

Do you people think its worth trying and will the prices go down once the demand increases?
  19. Knackered

Knackered Guest

If I could afford it I would, health's worth more than money.

If it turns out it's beneficial, yep. I'm 100% sure of that.
  20. julius

Canada
    That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.

2 hours worth....funny.

See more popular forum discussions.