Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

pentoxifylline

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Bdeep86, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Bdeep86

Bdeep86 Senior Member

I have been reading about this medication for its microglial and anti inflammatory properties. I did a search on here and it didn't yield much as far as anecdotal reports. Has anyone trailed this?

2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

You might want to do a search on the related drug propentofylline, as you will find more info on this.

3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    There are a few posts here under the trade name Trental.

4. adreno

adreno PR activist

It gave me a massive headache. And hives.

zzz likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I actually just got a script for this to reduce inflammation.

I hope it doesn't give me hives!!

nandixon likes this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Senior Member

I tried it for a time. It initially gave me a headache, but that went away with time. I lost a lot of weight on it - had no appetite at all. Overall, I'm not sure that it helped, although it did seem to help a bit with inflammation (redness in face lessened, less dry eye, etc.)

It does increase bleeding tendency, and many ME patients have elevated tPA to start, and sometimes abnormal clotting and/or fibrinolysis, and antiphospholipid syndrome is not uncommon (although I don't have it). If you have any tendency to bleed you need to be careful - and INR would be sensible to check in advance as well as some basic measures of fibrinolysis - including d-dimer/FDP and t-PA.

In general, I think it's a pretty safe med and a decent inflammatory. I'm not sure it really helps a lot in ME though - I've yet to hear of it really having a great effect in anyone.

I wonder if the headache is a general effect or something particularly common in ME.

See more popular forum discussions.