• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

pentoxifylline

Bdeep86

I have been reading about this medication for its microglial and anti inflammatory properties. I did a search on here and it didn't yield much as far as anecdotal reports. Has anyone trailed this?

Hip

You might want to do a search on the related drug propentofylline, as you will find more info on this.

Eeyore

I tried it for a time. It initially gave me a headache, but that went away with time. I lost a lot of weight on it - had no appetite at all. Overall, I'm not sure that it helped, although it did seem to help a bit with inflammation (redness in face lessened, less dry eye, etc.)

It does increase bleeding tendency, and many ME patients have elevated tPA to start, and sometimes abnormal clotting and/or fibrinolysis, and antiphospholipid syndrome is not uncommon (although I don't have it). If you have any tendency to bleed you need to be careful - and INR would be sensible to check in advance as well as some basic measures of fibrinolysis - including d-dimer/FDP and t-PA.

In general, I think it's a pretty safe med and a decent inflammatory. I'm not sure it really helps a lot in ME though - I've yet to hear of it really having a great effect in anyone.

I wonder if the headache is a general effect or something particularly common in ME.