• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pentosan polysulfate sodium

kangaSue

There was an interesting article in my local weekend paper (Q Weekend Magazine; Don't let the bugs bite) about the re-use of an old drug, pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS), as a treatment for the debilitating fatigue and joint pains that are hard to treat in Ross River Virus.

The Virologist, who also had the virus herself, was looking for any novel anti-inflammatory, antiviral combination drug to try and found that the 50 y.o.drug, used orally in Interstitial Cystitis, was remarkably effective for these symptoms in some patients in doing preclinical trials into the drug as an injection.

Hip

pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS), as a treatment for the debilitating fatigue and joint pains that are hard to treat in Ross River Virus.

Ross River Virus is associated with ME/CFS, so perhaps pentosan polysulfate (Elmiron) will help other forms of ME/CFS.

It's interesting that pentosan polysulfate helps repair the damaged protective glycosaminoglycan layer (GAG layer) in the bladder, which is how it is thought to help interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder.

I just wrote this post which details how you can repair the bladder GAG layer in interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder, and I have now added pentosan polysulfate to this.

Another way to repair the bladder GAG layer is to instill into the empty bladder may be to use a solution of chondroitin sulphate (Gepan and Uracyst are two such chondroitin sulphate products employed for this purpose).

A damaged bladder GAG layer may allow toxins that are excreted into the urine to re-enter the body.

kangaSue

Ross River Virus is associated with ME/CFS, so perhaps pentosan polysulfate (Elmiron) will help other forms of ME/CFS.
Yes, that was my thinking in posting this. I didn't realize I left out the paragraph in reference to ME/CFS in cutting and pasting this in a hurry.

The real intent of the post was that, while it was not stipulated specifically in the article, I gather that giving PPS as an injection was more effective than taking it orally.

frozenborderline

It's interesting that pentosan polysulfate helps repair the damaged protective glycosaminoglycan layer (GAG layer) in the bladder, which is how it is thought to help interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder.

I just wrote this post which details how you can repair the bladder GAG layer in interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder, and I have now added pentosan polysulfate to this.

Another way to repair the bladder GAG layer is to instill into the empty bladder may be to use a solution of chondroitin sulphate (Gepan and Uracyst are two such chondroitin sulphate products employed for this purpose).

A damaged bladder GAG layer may allow toxins that are excreted into the urine to re-enter the body.
What are the main side effects of elmiron I am dealt worried it will cause irreversible balding. I'm being offered it to help with my bladder irritation from ketamine

frozenborderline

Hey hip, what do you know about the statistics on elmiron safety and the main side effects. Does it cause pattern baldness or blindness? Stats are good for me, bc just lists of side effects are meaningless , often rare side effects listed right next to common, impossible to tell

Hip