The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pentosan polysulfate sodium

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by kangaSue, Dec 9, 2016.

1. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    There was an interesting article in my local weekend paper (Q Weekend Magazine; Don't let the bugs bite) about the re-use of an old drug, pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS), as a treatment for the debilitating fatigue and joint pains that are hard to treat in Ross River Virus.

The Virologist, who also had the virus herself, was looking for any novel anti-inflammatory, antiviral combination drug to try and found that the 50 y.o.drug, used orally in Interstitial Cystitis, was remarkably effective for these symptoms in some patients in doing preclinical trials into the drug as an injection.

Hip, ScottTriGuy and Ritto like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Ross River Virus is associated with ME/CFS, so perhaps pentosan polysulfate (Elmiron) will help other forms of ME/CFS.

It's interesting that pentosan polysulfate helps repair the damaged protective glycosaminoglycan layer (GAG layer) in the bladder, which is how it is thought to help interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder.

I just wrote this post which details how you can repair the bladder GAG layer in interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder, and I have now added pentosan polysulfate to this.

Another way to repair the bladder GAG layer is to instill into the empty bladder may be to use a solution of chondroitin sulphate (Gepan and Uracyst are two such chondroitin sulphate products employed for this purpose).

A damaged bladder GAG layer may allow toxins that are excreted into the urine to re-enter the body.

3. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, that was my thinking in posting this. I didn't realize I left out the paragraph in reference to ME/CFS in cutting and pasting this in a hurry.

The real intent of the post was that, while it was not stipulated specifically in the article, I gather that giving PPS as an injection was more effective than taking it orally.

See more popular forum discussions.