• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM with just severe fatigue

soxfan

In the early years of illness I was able to recover from activity overnight. Now it seems as though PEM for me is becoming prolonged especially when I have to work.
I just worked 3 straight days which is a lot for me. I got through them pretty good but now am extremely tired. I just can't do anything except sit or lay down. I never have any other symptoms with PEM except extreme exhaustion like I am just a total zombie. No muscle pain...flu symptoms etc...just exhaustion.

It isn't even that I need to sleep because I can never sleep during the day but even walking is a chore. I do know that people experience PEM with just mental activity which seems to be the worse for me. How is it possible I can keep going for 3 days and not feel bad but then boom...I am guessing it is because I am finally not on the go and maybe the adrenaline is wearing off...or do I simply just always run on adrenaline and then it finally gives out.

Does anyone here experience PEM with just really extreme tiredness and no other increase in any other symptoms or is this something else I am experiencing?

caledonia

While I have the "encased in cement" thing, my brain isn't much good either. It feels like my brain has turned off, and it's not a good idea to attempt anything more vegging out in front of the tv.

If I overuse my muscles (and it doesn't take too much), I can have muscle pain all out of proportion to what I did. Back when I was normal, I used to workout with weights, so I know what real muscle soreness should feel like.

I've never really had the thing where you get sore throats or swollen glands in response to PEM. But I don't seem to have a viral component either, so that probably makes the difference.

But mostly it's the "encased in cement" feeling.

soxfan

I don't have the viral component either...I can do physical stuff and not get PEM. I worked out in the yard a month ago and had no repercussions. The PEM I experience is only from my job or social activities such as lunch with friends..shopping..holidays. I am still able to walk daily and do chores with no problem.

I guess my brain is the culprit to the bad PEM I experience.

PNR2008

When I saw Dr Goldstein many years ago he was working with a guy that crashed after mental fatique only. At that time it was new.

soxfan

Do you have any ideas what they did to help this? I think maybe I will start doing some research on this. I have told my doctor this hundreds of times but he never has any suggestions....why do I crash with mental fatigue and not physical exertion.

PNR2008

No I don't but I remember the word "kindling" that he used alot. Research this because it has to do with brain injury even small injuries likes smells etc.

soxfan

I am thinking whatever attacked me 9 years ago did so to my brain since I actually don't have many physical symptoms. I only have nerve pain and muscle twitching in one calf...chronic fatigue...ANS dysfunction...hypothyroid. I never had headaches...viral symptoms...joint pain etc.
It was definitely some type of bacterial or viral hit since my first symptoms were cramping and twitching in my left calf only. I didn't have the 24 hour viral symptoms until 3 weeks later. 9 years later I still have the muscle twitching in my calf along with nerve pain in that same calf. Not one doctor has ever been able to explain that....
Thanks for the info!

soxfan

I actually don't have brain fog at all..I have no trouble concentrating...remembering..thinking etc..it is just that when I have to do these things on an intense level like at work or in social situations is when I get destroyed with crashing. I crash immediately after the activity..there is no 24 hour delay. I did take CoQ10 for a while but noticed no difference.

Mental exertion destroys me even if it is not a stressful situation. I think a lot has to do with sensory overload. I work in a pharmacy and am dealing with customers..co workers..light..sound..activity. It becomes too much I am guessing and then when I get home away from that environment I crash. The same with social activity..the talking..the noise etc.

But yet I can go for a walk or rake the yard where it is peaceful and have no consequences. I actually went to Hawaii last fall and hiked..snorkeled and took walks and had zero problems..in fact it was the best I had felt in a long time. Even my sleep was better. I don't think there really is a solution to the problems I have with mental exertion except to try and limit my exposure to the triggers.