1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PEM or something else....

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by soxfan, May 18, 2014.

1. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    @SickOfSickness....everything you wrote in the above post is me exactly. I can't drive far to shop because I will be too tired to drive home. Shopping is a nightmare for me but I do it anyway even though I know there will be suffering afterwards. I buy many of my clothes online and just hope they fit but even shopping on the computer is tiring and I can't do it long. The lighting in stores...music playing...commotion is all tiring to my brain. Even just driving is exhausting because of the concentration it takes.

The only thing that doesn't cause this reaction is exercising whether walking or biking because it is calming to me and most of my problems stem from mental activity and stress. I can go hiking as well as long as it isn't really hot out.

For the first few years of illness I couldn't shop at all....

2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I do most of my shopping in small local shops;
    all my clothes come from charity shops (except underwear and shoes).

The advantage there is there IS only one of each item, if it's not your size, no point in getting it.

I take things home and wash them before trying them on, in my own time.

(A good soak in sodium bicarbonate and warm water will get rid of residual soap powder and conditioner smelly stinks left behind by the previous owner.)

They are much easier to cope with than big places such as supermarkets or malls, which are just a nightmare of sensory overload, and aisles and aisles of the same thing.

The lighting isn't too awful, and folk take their time; stop and have a chat.

soxfan likes this.
  3. Vonjones

Vonjones

See more popular forum discussions.