1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PEM experiment = COQ10 Any volunteers?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by lnester7, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Tania suffers hyperinsulinaemia Valentijn

2. Leopardtail

England
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  3. KENNY-SILVERS

KENNY-SILVERS conscientious objector

Washington

4. KENNY-SILVERS

Washington
    What's a PEM . Is COQ10 a antioxidant ?

5. Leopardtail

England
    PEM = Post Exertional Malaise, that horrid tiredness or illness we get following activity and sometimes with delay.
    CoQ10 does at least two things, it's both an antioxidant, and part of the body's energy generation system.

6. KENNY-SILVERS

Washington
    Thanks - I've always heard good things with CoQ10

7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    My insulin issue would be probably cause I have PCOS.. 90% of those with PCOS have insulin resistance by the age of 40 (I think it was). So at least that is something I cant blame the ME for.

I definately got insulin resistance.. normal max was around 50.. mine was nearly 150.

I have tried ribose in the past for the ME (back before my sugar started going up).. and found ribose was no help to me at all.

@Valentijn Those with type 1 dont produce any insulin if Ive read about it right (so wouldnt get high insulin), so I cant have that as I have excessive insulin levels. I was shocked to see my glucose go up 2-3 points to 7.8 (or something like that) just from a salad of lettuce, cucumber, capsicum (it had two of the tinest slices of tomato in it). I truely didnt expect to see an increase from a lunch of that .. basically no carbs in that (expect the very small 2 bits of tomato).

I havent had any lab tests to see what my body is doing now as I cant get to appointments again (Ive rang my advocate about this again today).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    For the CFS animal model. I want to know how they can tell that mouse has more then just fagitue? When most of our CFS symptoms arent testable eg headache etc etc how on earth do they know a mouse has them?

Little Bluestem and SDSue like this.
  9. Leopardtail

England
    Most effective such models involve chemically damaging the mouse to induce the disease - which is why I wonder how they could produce one since one has to know what damage to do.

10. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Update:

I went on vacation and only had one mini crash (after I MEAN DOING EVERYTHING) cooking, excercising, swimming..... The one thing is even I have more energy and I do feel better, I still have to watch not to go crazy. Going to try to increase more and see what happens. Also the latest I can take a dose is 4pm Or no sleep.

Sushi and SDSue like this.
  11. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I'm trying big doses of coQ10 but seeing no result. Does it need anything else with it to work?

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I'm increasing my dose to see what effects it might have. Since my levels tested average yrs ago I don't think I will see major improvements, I like to take it as a preventative measure since I I tested high for oxidative stress. I also take other antioxidants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23659338

13. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Consider acetyl carnitine, then there is creatine and ribose to help make ATP. Hard to know which part or function of the mitochondria are playing up.

I have gone from 100mg twice a day of q10 to 400mg just in the morning, cant say i have noticed much. Today i have increased my acetyl carnitine from 500mg to 1000mg in the morning, will see what happens.

Im looking more into exercise/activity type recovery and waste products like lactic acid and ammonia and ways to remove them. OKG which i have mentioned in other threads and recommended by my doc but also BCAA/branched chain amino acids can help with protein synthesis and removal of ammonia and lactic acid?? This could be apart of the reason for PEM.

It seems to me that people have more issues recoverying from activity then producing energy to do activity when one is fully rested??

Leopardtail likes this.
  14. Leopardtail

England
    Provided you do not have a corn allergy my first instinct would be to start with Ribose + CoQ10 + ALCAR.
    If they don't work some people find adding NADH helps (must be sub-lingual).

At lot depends on your full symptom profile, everybody with ME is subtly different.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    lnester7 and heapsreal like this.
  15. Leopardtail

England
    Yes I understand that tania, what I was trying to say was that your high Insulin levels can have two causes: Insulin resistance (this means cells do not respond fully to Insulin), Counter action (this means other hormones are working against the insulin).

What medication are you on for the PCOS insulin resistance?

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I don't have a corn allergy. Why would that make a difference? I take ALCAR and R+Lipoic Acid. I took Ribose supplements my doctor rec'd years ago for 6 months but didn't take the 3 you mentioned together. I've improved some since going back on digestive enzymes, malabsorption is a big problem for me.

I recently ordered a supplement with Shilajit and Ubinquinol combined. Will post if I notice anything different.

17. Leopardtail

England
    Ribose is made from corn/maize, hence there can be tiny amounts of corn residue present if people are allergic

18. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    @heapsreal The excersice physiologist told me to use alkalized water once a day, I use the ph balancer drops when I get too much latic acid pain like. But others use baking soda.

heapsreal likes this.
  19. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Yes considering baking soda/sodium bicarb, buffering substances. Whats interesting is researching into info on waste products produce by exercise and activity, lactic acid comes up as well as ammonia. Alot of the things im finding are to do with race horses, they seem further advanced then humans in some ways. They seem to be very pro things to buffer lactic acid and scavenge ammonia, using things like certain amino acids like arginine and ornithine. Many of these seem to be done by injections of some sort, so its hard to tell if oral supplementation would be as helpful, as well as dosing would be different??

Intersting as i think we seem to be more interesting in trying to create energy and not so much focus on recovery??

20. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    @heapsreal Intersting as i think we seem to be more interesting in trying to create energy and not so much focus on recovery??

I try to keep my job while I increase energy and the eternal Hunt for a cure. I am trying to do both. I am in a stand still about the cure topic, I am kinda stuck. Everything I do feels like symptom control. But is hard to attack the issue when we do not know what the original problem is! :bang-head:

See more popular forum discussions.