Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peanut-allergy cure close after Australian breakthrough

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Murph, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Murph

Murph :)

http://www.theage.com.au/national/h...after-australian-breakthrough-20170816-gxxz10

A breakthrough Melbourne-made treatment that is providing a long-term cure for children with a deadly peanut allergy may soon be widely available.

Two out of three children who received experimental peanut-probiotic treatment four years ago, can still freely eat peanuts today.

"These children have been eating peanut freely in their diet without having to follow any particular program of peanut intake in the years after treatment was completed," said lead researcher Professor Mimi Tang.

The clinical trial was conducted at the Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne.

Professor Tang hopes a product can be on the shelves in the next five years.

"This changes sufferers' lives. They can now eat peanuts. Their lives change completely," she said.

"Our feedback is these kids are now going to parties without worry."

The treatment combines a small amount of peanut flour with a very high dose of the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus.

This bacterium, commonly found in small doses in yoghurt, is a known immune system modulator – it calms the immune system's response to things it would normally react to, reducing the severity of allergic reactions.

Paired together, the probiotic mix encourages the immune system to gradually tolerate larger and larger doses of peanut flour.

"Probiotics are very potent immune-modulating agents to shift the way the immune system responds. This particular probiotic has been shown in other situations to support tolerance-like responses. It creates an environment for the immune system to respond differently," Professor Tang said

2. Murph

There's nothing specific here for us but it's yet another a massive clue that gut bacteria and the immune system are thick as thieves, in cahoots, etc...

Jennifer J, ljimbo423, AdamS and 3 others like this.
  3. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Wow! Great news though. My daughter is allergic to peanuts. And all other nuts.

And egg

And pulses :rolleyes:

I wonder if it will be tested on other allergens.

Thanks for.this.

4. Chelby

Chelby

Yay! I will hopefully be able to travel to SE Asia again. Went to Bali this year and ended up in the ER 3x in one week. I might try doing this at home, I'm not waiting 5 yrs...

mirshine likes this.
  5. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    Jennifer J, mirshine and Murph like this.
  6. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Is it likely to work for adults too?

Jennifer J, Skycloud and mirshine like this.
  7. herpesbaby

herpesbaby Senior Member

Hopefully one day they'll come up with something for lactose intolerant people too

Jennifer J and mirshine like this.
  8. Murph

I ran a search in the forums here to see if anyone had any experience with Lactobacillus Rhamnosus. There are ten posts, most of them in 2011 or earlier.

But I also went to my fridge and checked the labels on my probiotics. There's one brand that I seems to help me consistently. It's the only one where I actually notice if I stop taking it... Lo and behold its top constituent bug is L. Rhamnosus...

9. Jennifer J

Jennifer J Senior Member

Southern California
    This is really good news for people with peanut allergies. :)

I find this interesting. Yesterday I was thinking about probiotics after hearing about a different study. This study also used a Lacto.

I have been unable to eat most food over the past couple of years due to allergic reactions. Now looking back I changed my probiotic around the time this started happening. The probiotic I've been using is all Bifidobacteriums no Lactos. I'm wondering if that is playing a role in my reactions to foods?

For the study I heard yesterday which I just posted the one that seemed the most promising was a strain of Lactobacillus plantarum. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...eria-sepsis-risk-and-more-for-newborns.53562/

See more popular forum discussions.