• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peanut-allergy cure close after Australian breakthrough

Murph

:)
http://www.theage.com.au/national/h...after-australian-breakthrough-20170816-gxxz10

A breakthrough Melbourne-made treatment that is providing a long-term cure for children with a deadly peanut allergy may soon be widely available.

Two out of three children who received experimental peanut-probiotic treatment four years ago, can still freely eat peanuts today.

"These children have been eating peanut freely in their diet without having to follow any particular program of peanut intake in the years after treatment was completed," said lead researcher Professor Mimi Tang.

The clinical trial was conducted at the Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne.

Professor Tang hopes a product can be on the shelves in the next five years.

"This changes sufferers' lives. They can now eat peanuts. Their lives change completely," she said.

"Our feedback is these kids are now going to parties without worry."

The treatment combines a small amount of peanut flour with a very high dose of the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus.

This bacterium, commonly found in small doses in yoghurt, is a known immune system modulator – it calms the immune system's response to things it would normally react to, reducing the severity of allergic reactions.

Paired together, the probiotic mix encourages the immune system to gradually tolerate larger and larger doses of peanut flour.

"Probiotics are very potent immune-modulating agents to shift the way the immune system responds. This particular probiotic has been shown in other situations to support tolerance-like responses. It creates an environment for the immune system to respond differently," Professor Tang said

Yay! I will hopefully be able to travel to SE Asia again. Went to Bali this year and ended up in the ER 3x in one week. I might try doing this at home, I'm not waiting 5 yrs...

Murph

:)
I ran a search in the forums here to see if anyone had any experience with Lactobacillus Rhamnosus. There are ten posts, most of them in 2011 or earlier.

But I also went to my fridge and checked the labels on my probiotics. There's one brand that I seems to help me consistently. It's the only one where I actually notice if I stop taking it... Lo and behold its top constituent bug is L. Rhamnosus...

Jennifer J

This is really good news for people with peanut allergies. :)

http://www.theage.com.au/national/health/peanutallergy-cure-close-after-australian-breakthrough-20170816-gxxz1

"Probiotics are very potent immune-modulating agents to shift the way the immune system responds. This particular probiotic has been shown in other situations to support tolerance-like responses. It creates an environment for the immune system to respond differently," Professor Tang said

I find this interesting. Yesterday I was thinking about probiotics after hearing about a different study. This study also used a Lacto.

I have been unable to eat most food over the past couple of years due to allergic reactions. Now looking back I changed my probiotic around the time this started happening. The probiotic I've been using is all Bifidobacteriums no Lactos. I'm wondering if that is playing a role in my reactions to foods?

For the study I heard yesterday which I just posted the one that seemed the most promising was a strain of Lactobacillus plantarum. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...eria-sepsis-risk-and-more-for-newborns.53562/