Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pavlik et al: Recognizing Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by mango, Mar 18, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Recognizing Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Pavlik, Daniel MSPAS, PA-C; Agnew, Donna MSPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA; Stiles, Lauren JD; Ditoro, Rachel MSPAS, PA-C

Abstract
    This article describes the pathophysiology, clinical presentation, differential diagnosis, diagnosis, and management of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), a potentially debilitating autonomic disorder that can have many causes and presentations. POTS can be mistaken for panic disorder, inappropriate sinus tachycardia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Clinician suspicion for the syndrome is key to prompt patient diagnosis and treatment.

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants:
    doi: 10.1097/01.JAA.0000481398.76099.09

http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Abstr...g_postural_orthostatic_tachycardia.99877.aspx

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Never Give Up, ahmo, Cheshire and 2 others like this.
  2. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Does anyone remember the link to the site where you can get full papers? I'd like to read this.

3. mango

mango Senior Member

this article is open access. pdf available to download for free if you follow the link :)

4. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    I tried clicking on the link but it doesn't work. Maybe just a temporary issue?

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Under Article Tools I clicked on

panckage and mango like this.
  6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    From the article--some new comorbidities. Be careful not to trip over the recommendation to exercise!:aghhh:

Justin30 and ahmo like this.
  7. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Neurologist told me today that POTS is usually caused by SMALL FIBER NEUROPATHY(SFN) and only mentioned that is present in Parkinsons patients :rolleyes:

I think SFN is an area i would love to see more investigation in with regard to ME, POTS and FM.

TrixieStix and LiveAgain like this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I cannot get this article to open on my phone when I click the PDF link but maybe it will work on regular computer once I am home. Am very interested in the link between POTS and paraneoplastic syndromes. Thanks for posting it!

9. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Who let the dogs out?!! Woof! Woof!

Attached Files:

Gingergrrl likes this.
  10. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Groggy Doggy my phone is telling me I have to install "Google Drive" when I click on your link but then it doesn't let me. I need to update this phone. Am pretty sure I will be able to read the article once I get home tomorrow.

Thank you anyway!!!

11. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I tried this link on my computer and it didn't say anything about Google Drive so it must be something with your phone. I think you will easily download it when you get home. It is just a PDF.

12. Groggy Doggy

@Gingergrrl if you have an iPhone, try using Safari (instead of Google) as your browser. I used Safari and then was prompted to open the file with iBooks..

13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Groggy Doggy I just wanted to let you know that your link worked easily on my home computer and I was able to download the article just now but have not read it yet. Thanks again!

14. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @mango thanks for this article. I've only just realized I have POTS-like (or POTS-lite) issues. The article notes mast cell involvement. I've resumed royal jelly as mast cell stabilizer, and may be seeing some improvement.

leela and mango like this.
  15. Groggy Doggy

@Gingergrrl Glad to hear you were able to download the file. I hope you are making more progress with your diagnosis and treatment options :hug:

Gingergrrl likes this.
  16. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks and I am planning to post an update (not here) but in the other thread on paraneoplastic syndromes b/c that seems like the most fitting place. Will hopefully be able to to do that tomorrow.

See more popular forum discussions.