1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Paul Nurse (President, the Royal Society & Nobel prize winner): "Making Science Work"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There's a transcript available as well as the audio
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/paul-nurse---making-science-work/4508096

Somebody highlighted it saying:

biophile, Sean and Valentijn like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't think the PACE Trial Investigators displayed these qualities in terms of testing whether CBT or GET can lead to recovery (definition they reported on (very different from what was in the protocol) is so broad it doesn't answer they question)

and

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Background: he's using climate change as an example here. If you don't have much energy to read, possibly not the most interesting as he's just making general points)

I think some CBT and GET researchers seem to be concerned about extraneous issues which may influence their ability to be good scientists: e.g. whether patients can be rehabilitated back to work. This is along with other biases e.g. use particular methods in their workplace (and might have little else to offer), perhaps feeling they have staked their careers on it, etc.

Esther12 likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This contains broad statements, but possibly of relevance in terms of bodies that deal with ME/CFS:

and

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This view, or perception, is something we may need to be aware of .

Of course, occasionally I do myself lapse into talking about individuals, possible motives, etc. But I feel I can solely concentrate on the facts without reference to individuals as required.

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    These are the very arguments I have been making. It seems he has a rationalist view of science.

See more popular forum discussions.