Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Patterns of Sedentary Behavior and Mortality in U.S. Middle-Aged and Older Adults

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sean, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Translation: Both total physical activity, and time between periods of physical activity, affect mortality.

So the lesson for us is to spread our activity out over the day, as much as practically possible, with no more than 30 minutes between periods of activity. (I am taking inactivity or sedentary to mean lying or sitting down.)

Even if it doesn't help increase our activity level ceiling, it will help reduce the adverse impact of low activity levels.

ghosalb, MeSci, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Cause or consequence?

Art Vandelay, Valentijn and Hutan like this.
  3. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I am reminded of the various studies for beer (and other alcohol intake) being healthy at low levels, due to survey results.

It turns out that when you actually look at the results very carefully, very ill people don't drink.
    Meaning the cohort of people who don't drink has more very ill people in it, making it look like not drinking makes you unhealthy.

4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Cause or consequence?

Quite possibly both, but all things considered (including general physiological research) I think it is reasonable to assume it plays at least a significant causal role.

See more popular forum discussions.