• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Patient neglect in healthcare institutions: A systematic review and conceptual model" (open access)

Dolphin

Saw James C. Coyne plug this on his Twitter feed.
I don't have time to read it currently unfortunately but thought I'd post it in case anyone else did. I could imagine that some of this directly or indirectly might be relevant in ME/CFS.

Free full text: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1472-6963-13-156.pdf

Patient neglect in healthcare institutions: A systematic review and conceptual model

BMC Health Services Research 2013, 13:156 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-13-156

Tom W Reader (t.w.reader@lse.ac.uk)
Alex Gillespie (A.T.Gillespie@lse.ac.uk)

Abstract

Background

Patient neglect is an issue of increasing public concern in Europe and North America, yet remains poorly understood.

This is the first systematic review on the nature, frequency and causes of patient neglect as distinct from patient safety topics such as medical error.

Method

The Pubmed, Science Direct, and Medline databases were searched in order to identify research studies investigating patient neglect.

Ten articles and four government reports met the inclusion criteria of reporting primary data on the occurrence or causes of patient neglect.

Qualitative and quantitative data extraction investigated
(1) the definition of patient neglect,
(2) the forms of behaviour associated with neglect,
(3) the reported frequency of neglect,
and (4) the causes of neglect.

Results

Patient neglect is found to have two aspects.

First, procedure neglect, which refers to failures of healthcare staff to achieve objective standards of care.

Second, caring neglect, which refers to behaviours that lead patients and observers to believe that staff have uncaring attitudes.

The perceived frequency of neglectful behaviour varies by observer.

Patients and their family members are more likely to report neglect than healthcare staff, and nurses are more likely to report on the neglectful behaviours of other nurses than on their own behaviour.

The causes of patient neglect frequently relate to organisational factors (e.g. high workloads that constrain the behaviours of healthcare staff, burnout, and the relationship between carers and patients).

Conclusion

A social psychology-based conceptual model is developed to explain the occurrence and nature of patient neglect.

This model will facilitate investigations of
i) differences between patients and healthcare staff in how they perceive neglect,
ii) the association with patient neglect and health outcomes,
iii) the relative importance of system and organisational factors in causing neglect,
and iv) the design of interventions and health policy to reduce patient neglect.