• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

pathologising normality? BBC radio prog on new DSM

Hip

One of the most fascinating things about ADHD stimulant medications is that when normal people take them, they become, as you would expect, highly stimulated, over-excited and "wired".

But paradoxically, when someone with ADHD takes the same stimulant, it actually calms their mind down. This calming effect must be a very pleasant sensation for someone with ADHD, because having the "wired" over-excited mind of ADHD is not conducive to much productive activity (and certainly very bad for learning).

People think that stimulants help ADHD kids to study by focusing their mind like a strong coffee would; but in fact it is the opposite: stimulants calm down and relax the ADHD mind so that the children can then absorb info.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
The psych report I was given not long again, the psych decided that me taking the disability services to court for discrimination over ME/CFS, well it was decided by the psych that this was a psychological issue and she put it down in the report as being a special interest due to my Aspergers. **sighs she didn't get that I was taking them to court for terrible things they should be taken to court for**

Even worst,, this is a psych who did the report for a court case re my issues (this all happened even after a member of PR tried to advocate for me re the ME/CFS to the psych, I'd mark this post for her if I could remember her name).
Was it AndyPandy?