1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Parvovirus B19 AL IgG - what does the AL stand for?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by snowathlete, Apr 2, 2013.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I got a few results a week ago, and am waiting for the rest, but one of the ones I have back already is for Parvovirus. It's come back as 24.6. >1.0 is positive, but the question is whether this is high or not. The norm for IgG seems to be about 5 according to research I have read, but I havent seen anywhere that labels the test with the AL. What does the AL stand for? Anti-something? I dont know...hope someone knows.

Thanks
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I would call the lab and ask them what it means. Is there a phone number on the results sheet?

FWIW, I would consider your result high. Mine was only 3.3 and my doctor considered it a positive result.

Have you had other viral testing done?

Ema
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Maybe it stands for allotype?

al·lo·type (l-tp)
    n.
    Any of the genetically determined variants in the constant region of a given subclass of immunoglobulin that is detectable as an antigen by members of the same species having a different constant region.
    allo·typic (-tpk) adj.

Just a guess though from googling...

Ema
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Thanks Ema, could be Allotype, though both the A and L are uppercase, leaving me thinking it stands for two words?
    I may try calling the lab but last time i called to get their address so i could pay them their invoice, we had a hard time understanding each other - their English is not good.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Well, you have to call because now I am dying of curiosity too! :)

Ema
  6. PDXhausted

PDXhausted Senior Member

NW US
    Throwing my guess in--- in English, I think it would say Ab for antibody. You're using a Dutch lab, correct? The Dutch for antibody is antilichaam (according to Google translate), so maybe that is where the AL comes from?
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    PDXhausted - yes that'll be it won't it. Nice one!! Thanks so much for checking that. So it is the normal test - gosh I have a high level, what is THAT about?!
  8. PDXhausted

PDXhausted Senior Member

NW US
    I wish I could help you, but I have no idea. Sounds like you have some nasty intruders though! There is also the possibility of a lab error, so you could retest if you think there might be a mistake, or if your physician has never seen values that high before.
  9. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    They are uninvited too. I don't like squatters in my body! Yes prob worth a retest to be on the safe side! Particularly as the main treatment is riskyish and expensive.

Maybe I should post for other people's Parvo levels to get an idea how high mine might be.
    PDXhausted likes this.
  10. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Mine was about 7 on the same scale and considered a relatively mild infection.
  11. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    what did it go down to after the equilibrant?
  12. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    My IgG went from 6.9 to 6.1 over 9 months. I don't have PCR numbers handy, but I remember the PCR went from positive to negative over 3 months with Equilibrant.

FWIW, my daughter's IgG was 6 and her PCR was negative.
    snowathlete likes this.
  13. Hip

Hip Senior Member

If it is high, you know that parvovirus B19 can be considered one of the known causes of ME/CFS. Intravenous immunoglobulins is the treatment for parvovirus B19.
  14. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I had parvovirus July last year followed by a severe viral arthritis that lasted several months. My test result was positive for recent infection but the lab didn't give any numbers.

The only treatment I was given was a week of prednisone and pain relief
    SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.