1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Participant attributions for global change ratings in unexplained chronic fatigue and chronic fatigu

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Another paper from Friedberg.

Participant attributions for global change ratings in unexplained chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome
    Friedberg F, Coronel J, Seva V, Adamowicz JL, Napoli A.
    8 Jun 2014
    J Health Psychol.
    pii: 1359105314535458. [Epub ahead of print]
    http://hpq.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/05/29/1359105314535458.abstract

Sean and Esther12 like this.
  2. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

It gives the sole impression that improvement is a direct result of behavioural changes. Maybe it is for some patients with chronic fatigue, but still I'm skeptical about the overall value of this study.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    beaker, alex3619 and WillowJ like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It can also be interpreted in this way:

Patients interpret changes in illness severity according to their beliefs. In this study, patients were taught to attribute changes in illness to behaviour. Unsurprisingly, they did indeed interpret changes in illness severity in terms of behaviour.

Of course this is a bit premature because the abstract is vague and the paper not available. Behaviour could mean many different things, but I'm guessing it means "catastrophizing" and "positive thinking" and the usual.
    zzz, biophile and WillowJ like this.
  4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    alternately, the 'behavior' discussed could be overdoing things (depending on one's life circumstances this can sometimes be inevitable).

Depending on what kind of intervention they had. Some CBT/similar seem to teach acceptance of illness and learning to work with it: modifying things to make them more ergonomic, doing things in smaller bits, deciding what might be unnecessary and could be left undone, as well as sleep hygeine and positive reframing.
    Sean, Firestormm and biophile like this.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I recently saw a doctor who concluded that since I'd learned that being supine made me feel better (treating OI) that somehow my problems were solved. I assured him that laying on the couch isn't the lifestyle I want.

His conclusion seemed completely irrational to me. But seems to fall in line with what was concluded here.

Tc ... x
    mango, ahmo and Valentijn like this.
  6. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Petition for a puke(throw up) emotion Icon.
    Sean, xchocoholic and catly like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    :vomit: - That one's called "vomit", though he's holding it in instead of spewing :p
    lnester7 and Sean like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, Fred Friedberg's interventions are more like that.

It's the COG intervention in this trial: http://www.cfids-cab.org/cfs-inform/CFStreatment/jason.etal07.pdf

COG is based on pacing and did a little better than King's College London-type CBT (i.e. Chalder-/Wessely-type CBT).

Here's a description of COG which Friedberg et al. said was a basis for this trial:

Jason et al 2007 Table 1 part 1 larger.png
    Jason et al 2007 Table 1 part 2 larger.png
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I actually found some of this paper quite interesting e.g.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought this was good to see:
    WillowJ likes this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The authors briefly discuss recovery claims:

WillowJ, A.B. and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.