• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Partial Biotinitase Deficiency, 23andme Test, BTD GENE POLL?

jepps

Thank you for your interesting discussion!
I have no mutation in the BTD gene, I have:

rs2279841 GG
rs9310479 no call
rs34885143 GG
rs13078881 GG
rs3817641 TT
rs3796302 GG

but I´ve also intolerances to egg and milk. I take 400 mcg B7 a day with my B12-supplement.

brenda

I have normal results on BTD genes but don't eat eggs or dairy and have biotin deficiency symptoms - hair loss and rash on face so started today on 1.5mg.

I've been taking 2-3mg of biotin per day for the past week. No side effects thus far, and the little weird/scaly patches on my face seem to be diminishing, though they aren't gone and it's really too soon to say for sure.

I'm also in the middle of a crash triggered Tuesday, and have none of the aches and pains I'd usually get with a crash. I don't even have the sore legs I was expecting due to cycling on a stationary bike until I more or less collapsed. I don't know if the lack of pain is due to the biotin, or something else started in the past month or two (yohimbe, coffee). I did get a brief case of bicycle-butt though :rolleyes:

Radio

I've been taking 2-3mg of biotin per day for the past week. No side effects thus far, and the little weird/scaly patches on my face seem to be diminishing, though they aren't gone and it's really too soon to say for sure.

I'm also in the middle of a crash triggered Tuesday, and have none of the aches and pains I'd usually get with a crash. I don't even have the sore legs I was expecting due to cycling on a stationary bike until I more or less collapsed. I don't know if the lack of pain is due to the biotin, or something else started in the past month or two (yohimbe, coffee). I did get a brief case of bicycle-butt though :rolleyes:
Yeah, Biotin supplement support, reduce the fibromyalgia pain level in my thoracic spine area...I'm glad you are having some good benefits as well...If you have a chance check out my new thread...Chronic Infection-H-pylori-Manganese-Connection. :thumbsup:

aprilk1869

My Dad has some sort of undiagnosed pain syndrome and over a year ago I ordered the Genova OAT test which showed up many deficiencies including Biotin.

So far I'm the only one in the family who has signed up for 23andme however my parents will be doing the test soon.

I've gone through my own results and it seems I'm hetero for rs13078881 which of course could've come from my Dad or my Mum (her symptoms are more fatigue based). I don't know yet and won't find out for some weeks, I'll try to remember and update this post.

adreno

PR activist
Just tried a 5mg dose of Biotin, and it caused anxiety as well as other symptoms. I think the high biotin doses are suppressing blood sugar too much. My hands and feet feel very cold. I will stick with 500mcg for a while.

Just tried a 5mg dose of Biotin, and it caused anxiety as well as other symptoms. I think the high biotin doses are suppressing blood sugar too much. My hands and feet feel very cold. I will stick with 500mcg for a while.
I started with 2-3mg, then tried 5mg. I had some nausea at 5mg, but that might have been due to Other Factors. I'm doing 4 per day now with no problems.

adreno

PR activist
I have issues with low blood sugar, as my cortisol is always low, so it might not take much to push me over the edge. I got some slight nausea as well as brain fog.

For those who might be interested, the people over on the LowOxalate Yahoo Group, adults and children are taking up to 50 MG per day of Biotin (some even more if IRC?) - oxalate can disrupt the biotin pathways. Susan Owens, the oxalate scientist & researcher says that it is safe in those very high doses, also helping many with yeast and gut problems over there very successfully!

Radio

For those who might be interested, the people over on the LowOxalate Yahoo Group, adults and children are taking up to 50 MG per day of Biotin (some even more if IRC?) - oxalate can disrupt the biotin pathways. Susan Owens, the oxalate scientist & researcher says that it is safe in those very high doses, also helping many with yeast and gut problems over there very successfully!
Diet is key to recovery!

aprilk1869

My Dad has some sort of undiagnosed pain syndrome and over a year ago I ordered the Genova OAT test which showed up many deficiencies including Biotin.

So far I'm the only one in the family who has signed up for 23andme however my parents will be doing the test soon.

I've gone through my own results and it seems I'm hetero for rs13078881 which of course could've come from my Dad or my Mum (her symptoms are more fatigue based). I don't know yet and won't find out for some weeks, I'll try to remember and update this post.

It turns out that my dad is GG (normal) and my Mum is is CG.

I took another look at the biotin-related genes, now that I've more than doubled my sample size of genetic data for ME patients :D I also took a look at the known and suspected biotin transporters. Controls are now matched by maternal haplotype, as an approximation for matching by ethnicity.

SNPs listed in bold red font are known missense mutations, and ones in purple font are known pathogenic missense mutations. Purple boxes indicate a genotype present in less than 1% of the population, red is 1 - 2.5% prevalence, orange is 2.5 - 5% prevalence, and yellow is 5 - 10% prevalence. Some results are blacked out for the ME patients and their matched controls because the new 23andMe chip doesn't test those SNPs anymore, and it makes things rather unbalanced if the controls have 23 sets of genotypes to look at when the patients only have 16.

biotinA.png
biotinB.gif

Basically even the pathogenic mutations shown here typically don't cause disease by themselves. Though they can result in complete enzyme deficiency if one heterozygous mutation is combined with another. For BTD (as discussed earlier in this thread), rs13078881 reduces BTD enzyme activity by about half. In the general population and in the control group, prevalence is around 2%, yet is 8.7% for our ME patients.

The transporters (SLC5A6, SLC16A1, SLC19A3) look completely normal for the ME patients. But if adding together the rare genotypes occurring in BTD and HLCS, weighted based on rarity (10 for purple, 5 for red, 2 for orange, 1 for yellow), the ME patients would be 211, versus 58 for the controls. So nearly 4 times as much rarity in those genes for ME patients compared to the controls.

So interesting stuff, especially since biotin deficiency can cause many ME symptoms. Also, the major source of biotin is produced by gut bacteria, which could be another source of a problem for those of us with dysbiosis. Though it's hard to find any research clearly stating which bacteria are most responsible for biotin production, and there also doesn't seem to be much data regarding how the biotin gets from those bacteria to where it's needed.

Last edited:

Critterina

@Valentijn ,

:love: Love your stuff! Great job here on the analysis. Nice notes on the biotin deficiency causing ME symptoms and the role of gut bacteria. I believe (without proof, just synchronicity) that I have gut dysbiosis from strong antibiotics that caused my histamine intolerance, and biotin was the one thing identified on my NutrEval test as most needed. Good food for thought! Thank you!

Gondwanaland

My 23andMe raw data lists the following
Your data includes 78 SNPs on gene BTD, which is on chromosome 3
And then each SNP has versions "C or T", "A or G" etc. and in my genotype column all I have is "no call" 3x, and a double letter for each one of the remaining SNPs. My double letters always correspond to one of the possible 2 versions listed, but how do I find out which one is the desirable/detrimental letter?

pattismith

Basically even the pathogenic mutations shown here typically don't cause disease by themselves. Though they can result in complete enzyme deficiency if one heterozygous mutation is combined with another. For BTD (as discussed earlier in this thread), rs13078881 reduces BTD enzyme activity by about half. In the general population and in the control group, prevalence is around 2%, yet is 8.7% for our ME patients.

The transporters (SLC5A6, SLC16A1, SLC19A3) look completely normal for the ME patients. But if adding together the rare genotypes occurring in BTD and HLCS, weighted based on rarity (10 for purple, 5 for red, 2 for orange, 1 for yellow), the ME patients would be 211, versus 58 for the controls. So nearly 4 times as much rarity in those genes for ME patients compared to the controls.

So interesting stuff, especially since biotin deficiency can cause many ME symptoms. Also, the major source of biotin is produced by gut bacteria, which could be another source of a problem for those of us with dysbiosis. Though it's hard to find any research clearly stating which bacteria are most responsible for biotin production, and there also doesn't seem to be much data regarding how the biotin gets from those bacteria to where it's needed.

What a big job!

Valentijn, I wonder if recent scientist publications on the CFS patients microbiome have changed your mind about Biotine versus Thiamine deficiencies in ME patients?
Knowing that ME people are more Enterotype 1 (with important Bacteroides genius , known to produce Biotin) than Enterotype 2 (with important Prevotella genius, known to produce thiamine and folates),
ME patients may be more sensitives to Thiamine and Folates deficiencies than to biotine, what do you think?