The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pariante - inflammation underlying treatment resistant depresssion

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Hardly cutting edge but a reminder of the direction of travel in psychiatry.

Credit where due to Carmine Pariante :

How common Ibuprofen pills can treat your low mood

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...n-pills-help-cure-low-mood.html#ixzz4oUDDQACz

2. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

The headline made me chuckle. I recall sitting down for lunch with a colleague about 10 years ago, around the time a big study was published of relative uselessness of SSRIs in treatment-resistant cases. I remember remarking that maybe what they need is ibuprofen, not more psych meds and she said nothing, just looked at me as if I'd said the dumbest thing ever. :woot:

Helen, echobravo, Marco and 2 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Shock! Horror!

At least some of what we currently label 'mental' illness, might actually be driven by biological mechanisms.

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

This research is really a mess.

Depression is generally measured in these studies using self-report scales. These scales include three distinct types of items:
    - affective items (questions about your mood and feelings, like whether you feel sad often)
    - cognitive items (questions about whether you feel hopeless about the future, bad about yourself, etc.)
    - "somatic" or "physiological" items (questions about whether you're tired, have trouble concentrating or trouble sleeping).

Only one set of items significantly improves with anti-inflammatory treatment. Can you guess which one? Yep, its the "somatic" or "physiological" items.

It is very likely that the somatic/physiological items, which are included in self-report scales for prgramtic resasons (they tend to correlate with the "real" depression items), are measuring a lot of things other than depression, and it is these that respond to ant-inflammatories.

What a mess we have got ourselves into with depression, eh!

See more popular forum discussions.