• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pariante - inflammation underlying treatment resistant depresssion

Marco

Grrrrrrr!

Sidereal

The headline made me chuckle. I recall sitting down for lunch with a colleague about 10 years ago, around the time a big study was published of relative uselessness of SSRIs in treatment-resistant cases. I remember remarking that maybe what they need is ibuprofen, not more psych meds and she said nothing, just looked at me as if I'd said the dumbest thing ever. :woot:

Woolie

This research is really a mess.

Depression is generally measured in these studies using self-report scales. These scales include three distinct types of items:
- affective items (questions about your mood and feelings, like whether you feel sad often)
- cognitive items (questions about whether you feel hopeless about the future, bad about yourself, etc.)
- "somatic" or "physiological" items (questions about whether you're tired, have trouble concentrating or trouble sleeping).

Only one set of items significantly improves with anti-inflammatory treatment. Can you guess which one? Yep, its the "somatic" or "physiological" items.

It is very likely that the somatic/physiological items, which are included in self-report scales for prgramtic resasons (they tend to correlate with the "real" depression items), are measuring a lot of things other than depression, and it is these that respond to ant-inflammatories.

What a mess we have got ourselves into with depression, eh!