1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Parents of Ill UK Boy Fight Extradition from Spain" (not ME/CFS case)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ren, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    London AP: "Parents of Ill UK Boy Fight Extradition from Spain" (1 September 2014)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-09-01-06-43-12

Youtube video posted by the family before being forcefully detained (arrested?) by authorities - Father explains how they were bullied and threatened by doctors for asking questions; And, petition to reunite family with son: https://www.change.org/p/police-reunite-ashya-with-his-parents#share

----------

Edit: The article at the above AP link seems to have been edited since I posted the above extract, with information added (survival info and costs, at least) that is more favorable to NHS' viewpoint.

I don't know how AP usually works, but I don't see a note that the page has been edited since original publication, and I haven't found an archived page on the AP site.

This seems to be the original version, fyi: http://news.yahoo.com/parents-uk-boy-tumor-face-spanish-hearing-095340026.html

The second AP version is here: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/parents-uk-boy-tumor-face-spanish-hearing

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    ggingues, golden and Keela Too like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    I signed this a couple of hours ago and sent it to friends. Astonishingly, it has now collected more than 52 000 signatures, but they are asking for another 22 000. I sincerely hope they achieve this. It is a disgraceful situation!

bertiedog, Valentijn, WillowJ and 3 others like this.
  3. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    I was just about to post about this as I have signed the petition - over 60,000 signatures. I am going to make special effort to share it too.

Utterly appalling to be chasing parents around for seeking better treatment than the NHS can offer!!!

All that money spent on the police force to do it too.

Accusing them of kidnapping !! Raiding Grannys home!!!

Medical Mafia in full force again. Disgusting.

bertiedog, WillowJ, ahmo and 2 others like this.
  4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I saw the name mentioned online but hadn't heard the story. Thanks for posting, @Ren

Apparently the family didn't inform the nurses they were leaving, but that was understandable as the oncologist had apparently already threatened to turn them over to social services for asking questions about treatment (after annoying him by disagreeing with him about the proton therapy) !

Countrygirl and Valentijn like this.
  5. Min

Min Senior Member

UK
    It makes me wonder where our taxes that aresupposed to fund our health service actually go. Why is the proton beam therapy not available in this wealthy country?

6. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    From the original AP article (there seem to be different versions):

The second version of the article (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/parents-uk-boy-tumor-face-spanish-hearing) said I believe that the doctor didn't recommend this therapy for this particular child's case. The father offers a counter statement in his video, which includes info on risk of negative side effects for the different treatments.

In my experience (not in the UK), the statement that the powers that be will pay for care outside your main area of treatment (if they can't provide the service) is an absolute lie.

7. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

8. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

Looks like as bit of common sense might be going on at last. All that needs to happen now is for the Spanish court to release the parents. The e-petition helped things along I am sure.

Pam

Ren likes this.
  9. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    I have just heard that the parents are going to be held in jail again tonight and will appear before a Spanish court tomorrow.

I have also read that the parents are going to sue Southampton hospital. I haven't had that confirmed though.

Valentijn and Ren like this.
  10. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    London, AP "UK Withdrawing Warrent for Ill Boy's Parents"
    (Not sure I believe this!)
    Edit: London, AP: "Ill UK Boy's Parents Freed from Custody in Spain"

Countrygirl and WillowJ like this.
  11. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    I don't understand why parents are not allowed to leave the country to pursue medical care for their own child if they choose to? I understand if the parents were not in agreement and one took the child without the others consent but that is not the case here!

I had a former co-worker who did proton therapy for prostate cancer at Loma Linda and he was completely cured. If the family can travel to another country and pay privately for this treatment, why is that a crime?

Valentijn likes this.
  12. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I think the "crime" was their failure to respect the authority of the doctor. 2nd opinions and reasonable disagreements are not allowed.

Ren likes this.
  13. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    Just what I was writing, Valentijn. -- I suspect the "crime" is to challenge the authority of doctors and insurers.

--------------

Edit: First and foremost of course are positive thoughts for this family and that this child is able to pull through.

That said, I wonder what (if any) legal implications this fiasco has raised.

For example, again: In the video from the parents, the father emphasized that they were pursuing a treatment which had fewer negative side effects / less risk of (serious) harm.

The AP articles don't mention this. They just generally repeat that the UK hospital said such-and-such positive about the child's survival rates with the current UK treatment protocol.

Questions then which come to mind: When two (or more) treatments are available, does the State have a legal / ethical obligation to provide access to the treatment method which offers the least negative side effects / least risk of (serious) harm?

Also, one of the AP articles said that the treatment sought by the parents will be offered in the UK in the future, but facilities aren't ready at this time; Until facilities are ready, patients who "need" this treatment will (allegedly) receive this treatment in a country outside the UK.

So an additional question is: Are harms/risk of harms considered when "need" is evaluated?

See also, http://bigstory.ap.org/article/uk-deputy-leader-criticizes-ill-boy-case

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.