• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

parasomnias

sleepy237

Does anyone know if cfs/me/fibro can cause secondary parasomnias. I keep waking up with my heart /pulse felt throughout my entire body, also wake up coughing and have to take my veentolin(no asthma found on spiroometry) but allergies or sleep apnea was mentioned. I wake up often with a sore chest (tender to breathe in) and a very dry mouth(causing dental decay). Sometimes it feels like I am in between sleep and wakefulness too. I guess I will have to persuade my doctor to refer me for a sleep study. I found a little info on autonomic disturbances during sleep but just wondered if anyone else is/ or has had similar. Alsoo my heart irregularity is much more pronounced when I wake.
Thanks for everyone who is part of this wondeful site
Sleepy:confused:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm not sure about the parasominas, but I can tell you that your symptoms of sore throat and very dry mouth can be strong symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can manifest into a barrage of health issues. Have you ever had a sleep study done? Sleep problems and ME/CFS go together like peanut butter and jelly.

My sleep sproblems started before ME/CFS hit me and I do think the sleep issues contributed to my ME/CFS onset to some extent.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Sleepy i have all the problems you list above. How do you go about getting a sleep study in the U.K and what would be the point? I have for years also woken up choking in the night. I am in a kind of half sleep most of the night as well, with frequent waking and mad dreams, also wake up with heart racing sometimes.

sleepy237

Justy ask your gp for referral I am going to ask next visit I suspect sleep apnea either that or i cant breathe through my nose in sleep. Mention u wake up choking and that u want to be tested for sleep apnea. x

ukxmrv

Any sinus problems sleepy?

I normally breath through my nose and when that get blocked or swollen sleep can get really hard. I wake up coughing, gasping for breath and with a horrible dry mouth.

Usually for me that means I've yet another sinus infection. A CAT scan showed that the septum and areas around the inside of my nose were badly infected and swollen last time I had one. It's an intermittant problem for me.

sleepy237

ukxmrv theres so much going on in us all at once as you know, i did have very acute sinus infections twice laast year and ended up leaving a lump in my upper jaw its still there, my ears keep getting infected recurrently and my gums, sometimes my nose feels clear but i cant breathe through it during sleep just had a brain mri would that show sinus probs? thanks

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I had a big problem with the nostril that was on the low side would always stop up while lying down, which resulted in me breathing through my mouth. The "Breathe Right" stripd can help to certain degree, but it wasn't enough for me and I ended up having my turbinates trimmed. I haven't had one issue from that point on.