• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paraneoplastic redux- calling anciendaze and gingerrgirl

PDXhausted

@Pyr2 I'm glad to hear you got an appt with a specialized oncologist, hopefully that will help get you a complete investigation. I don't know what the answer is, but my husband is a hematopathologist and I can't tell you the number of rare and unusual cases he comes home and tells me about, that are sometimes cancer and sometimes not, and oftentimes need some good specialized doctors and pathologists to get to the right place. So it seems reasonable to me to get another perspective from a good oncologist. Plus oncologists are some of the nicest clinicians to work with. :) good luck to you, I'm hoping you find the right answer!

barbc56

@Pyr2

Sending you thoughts of better health and for you to find some answers.

@anciendaze I am planning on reading The Girl From The Sixth Floor. I have a close relative who may have gone through this. She now has peripheral neurapathy but I'm not sure if this was caused by paraneoplastic or chemotherapy.

Plus oncologists are some of the nicest clinicians to work with

My BIL is a hematology oncologist and is such a giving and compassionate person. Even before becoming a doctor.

If only all doctors were like that.

Gingergrrl

Hi everyone, @Justin30, @Gingergrrl, thank you so much for thinking about me. I did reply to a convo with Ginger yesterday.

@Pyr2 I got your PM and thank you for the detailed update and I am going to reply there vs. here so you don't have to read everything twice!

I hope you are doing well..... so sorry this was such a debbie downer.

Absolutely not a Debbie Downer and this is the reality of what you are dealing with and we would not want you to have to censor it. I relate to a lot of what you have gone through although many of our specific symptoms are different.

So it seems reasonable to me to get another perspective from a good oncologist. Plus oncologists are some of the nicest clinicians to work with. :) good luck to you, I'm hoping you find the right answer!

I totally agree and if I had not found my Neuro (who was the 3rd one after seeing two horrible ones back to back) we had already contacted City of Hope (cancer center) b/c they deal with paraneoplastic syndromes. I did not yet know about the autoimmune neurology lab at UPenn which is now one of my back up plans should my local treatment fall apart.

Also the infusion center where I am getting IVIG is a cancer center (who happens to do a lot of IVIG in addition to chemo) and they are the nicest nurses and staff to deal with and very attentive/supportive.

@anciendaze I am planning on reading The Girl From The Sixth Floor. I have a close relative who may have gone through this. She now has peripheral neurapathy but I'm not sure if this was caused by paraneoplastic or chemotherapy.

It is a great book and it normally takes me forever to read a book b/c I am so busy with other things but I read this one very quickly and was so invested in learning the outcome for Jenny (the girl with the NMDA encephalitis). You will enjoy the book. I learned from it that regardless which autoantibody, the treatments are IVIG, RTX, etc, and it confirmed I was on the right path.

halcyon

I think having oligoclonal bands is unusual in ME, but Im not sure where to post anymore so I just continue to lurk on this board!
It's not unheard of in ME, but I don't know that it's common. Byron Hyde mentions it in several of his books.

Justin30

yes Justin, its all in God's hands and He has a plan for us. I have struggled with that in the past few months especially with the fact that me being sick just might be God's will and that its for His glory and my good. It so hard when you have children. I just want to get better and watch my kids grow and stop the endless drs appointments.

I can so relate to this as I have young one myself and am just exhausted from all the Drs appointmemts.

I hope you find some relief soon.