• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paradoxical Folate Deficiency/Insufficiency from Folic Acid in mice

Freddd

Neuronal injury: folate to the rescue?
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/40764

Interestingly, the authors found an inverted U-shaped relationship between the therapeutic effect of folic acid and the dose administered, with peak therapeutic effects observed at 80 μg/kg (7). A similar biphasic increase and subsequent decrease in spinal cord global methylation was observed in response to increasing doses of folate. Notably, the magnitude of de novo DNMT protein expression also followed an inverted U-shaped pattern over the dose range of folic acid treatment

Paradoxical folate insufficiency by another name still stinks the same.

So maybe they will one day put a horse with paradoxical folate deficiency from folic acid and a mouse with paradoxical folate deficiency from folic acid together and realize humans have that problem with folic acid also.

They would not have found this effect with L-methylfolate unless the layer they were studying was one not activated in a donut hole paradoxical folate deficiency. The paradoxical nature of all this is missed by many researchers and not understood at all. The important thing in this paper is that they became aware that more folic acid is a worse performer than less folic acid. They don't know any of the rest of it. And they are speaking of rodent studies. The whole idea of paradoxical folate deficiency/insufficiency in humans is not recognized, noticed, studied or understood by the research or medical community. There is not a single peer reviewed paper concerning the subject that I can find.

Last edited:

South

Freddd, shouldn't the title of your post use the word folate instead of the words folic acid? Every little thing we can do to start getting the public to realize that folic acid and folate are not the same thing. Frequent readers of this forum already know this, but new people often stumble on forums like this.

Freddd

Freddd, shouldn't the title of your post use the word folate instead of the words folic acid? Every little thing we can do to start getting the public to realize that folic acid and folate are not the same thing. Frequent readers of this forum already know this, but new people often stumble on forums like this.

Hi South,

Actually in this specific thing they used folic acid and noticed that it has a peak effect before falling off in effectiveness. This is a problem of folic acid specifically and they need to know that. That is a characteristic of folic acid, NOT l-methylfolate. I am, in my usual practice going to write a critique and send it to the corresponding author and point out a few things about this folate business. Some listen and some don't. If lots of us did that we might be able to change things. Right now the level of understanding on a pragmatic level of paradoxical folate deficiency/insufficiency is decades ahead of official research right here on this forum. I edited the title to better reflect the point I was trying to make.

It is difficult changing "what everybody knows" when what they "know" is wrong.

South

The study is confusing to me because it uses the terms "folate" and "folic acid" without defining the difference. I wish they wouldn't do that. No wonder the public is confused.