• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paper with reference to leaky gut and autoimmunity

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Thanks to @lansbergen for posting a link to this paper by Robert Naviaux about the 'cell danger response' in another thread. (It has also been discussed elsewhere in PR but not in this particular forum.)

I was particularly interested in this section, as there seem to be so many links between ME and autism/Asperger's syndrome:

For example, in children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), the expression of
intestinal disaccharidases is decreased so that the microbiota of the distal bowel receives a larger number of simple disaccharides like sucrose, lactose, and maltose (Williams et al., 2011). In addition, the increase in oxidizing conditions associated with the CDR in cells lining the intestine leads to changes in the uptake, intracellular processing, and folding of the proline and glutamine-rich, processed gliadin 33-mer peptide (Oguma et al., 2007), and to an increase in gluten sensitivity (Jacobs, 2007). These and other factors combine to alter the permeability and species composition in the gut. Among children with ASD, this commonly leads to dysbiosis and alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. It also leads to changes in behavior that are a result of communication abnormalities between the enteric nervous system (ENS) that monitors the health and function of the microbiome, and the central nervous system (CNS). Restoring a sick microbiome is not as simple as adding back missing or underrepresented species. Both the physical habitat of the gut and the nutrient resources delivered must be durably changed in order to produce a durable change in the complex microbial ecosystem.

Last edited: