1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Paper on therapeutic allegiance of researchers affecting RCT results

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

free full paper here: http://mentalhealthpros.com/mhp/pdf/Dodo-bird-meta-analys.pdf

I got a bit tired toward the end, but tried to pull out the bits which would be key to assessing the value of CBT/GET for CFS.

I've started looking more generally at the extent to which psychological interventions can be seen as 'placebo', and the extent to which 'placebo' can mean simply patients wanting to be polite and positive in questionnaires about those who have tried to help them, rather than the patients themselves seeing any significant improvement in their health problems. It seems like a lot of psychiatrists/therapists/etc see themselves as providing little more than placebo, but think that this is a wonderful and life changing thing. I'm not sure how evidence based this view is.

Does anyone know whether the PACE researchers had any prior allegiance to any of the different treatments being assessed?

Ho ho.

See more popular forum discussions.