1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California Conference Season 2014: Stanford Presents - Advances in Clinical Care and Translation...
The 2014 conference season began yesterday at Stanford, home of Dr. Jose Montoya and his team, and searcher was there to provide a live commentary on the presentations from an all-star line-up of clinicians and scientists and which featured some exciting new developments on the...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Paper by Nigel Speight: 'ME/CFS: Review of history, clinical features and controversies'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Battery Muncher and John Mac like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes Sasha, an interesting paper. He also has the same opinion as me as to the primary turning point in ME medicine and politics: McEvedy and Beard's 1970 paper. This was happening at a time when the biopsychosocial movement was about to take off, and about the time that there were big changes in global politics and economics. Once many in medicine, and particularly psychosomatic medicine, become fixated on ME as mass hysteria, the issues began. On the one hand we have biomedical evidence, repeated cluster outbreaks, and sound reasoning from the experts (for the most part). On the other we have unsubstantiated claims, reams of rhetoric, and political promotion of the biopsychosocial view. These are two different paradigms. One is based on reason. The other uses reason, politics and public relations methods to manipulate the public discourse.
    Battery Muncher and Sasha like this.

See more popular forum discussions.