1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: The Adrenal Glands and ME
The second in a new series of ‘In Brief’ articles, where Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics, exploring how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he discusses the adrenal glands and why they can be such a talking point ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Panic attacks and CO2

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by liverock, Nov 28, 2009.

1. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    This study points out how increased blood levels of CO2 can be at the basis of the 'flight or fight response' in panic attacks.

I have often thought that CFS sufferers are mainly 'shallow breathers' due to our lower activity levels. This can increase CO2 blood levels and could explain some of the 'flight and fight' symptoms, of which the panic attack is the ultimate response.

We take deep breaths as a natural response to panic attacks and this lowers CO2 levels and lowers the symptoms.

Regular breathing exercises every day I find helps to keep CO2 levels lower throughout the day and this cuts down on the number of 'flight and fight' symptoms.

2. Alice Band

Alice Band PWME - ME by Ramsay

UK
    Hi Liverock,

I've had my breathing tested and there was no sig of shallow breathing or CO2 problems. The tests involved being connected to a machine that tests the breath and then blood tests.

I also don't have panic attacks. Might be a ME thing or even a me thing. No idea. as I'm an old timer survivor from an acute viral outbreak.

Also fit the criteria for CFS CDC and Canadian.

Just wanted to say that not all people with these conditions have breathing problems or are shallow breathers.

Not meaning anything derogatory about people with CFS who have this symptom. We are all different.
  3. susan

susan Senior Member

Gold Coast Australia
    shallow breathing

I am a shallow breather.....adrenalin running all the time as a result. did Buteyko breathing for a good while and it helped a lot. Putting tape across my mouth at night was good also to train me. Was inhaling 23 breaths a minute.....now 12. I think shallow breathing is a big issue with CFS and many people dont realize it.....I did not till it was pointed out to me.
  4. ramakentesh

ramakentesh Senior Member

The breathless involved in CFS can be easily explained. Excessive sympathetic overactivity results in an increase in chemoreceptor sensitivity and a decrease in baroreflex sensitivity. And the result is postural hypocapnia and cerebral vasoconstriction, POTS and anxiety.
  5. And lowered oxygen saturation.

And weak diaphram muscles (due to very low ATP) leading to systemic muscle weakness.

And chronic mast cell activation.

And changes in pulmonary circulation.

Etc....;)

See more popular forum discussions.