Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PANDAS/PANS treatment protocol for ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jesse2233, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Several doctors are now using the Cunningham autoantibody panel to establish a case for autoimmunity in ME/CFS patients. These same autoantibodies have been linked to PANDAS/PANS, a post-infectious autoimmune disease affecting children.

A treatment protocol has emerged for PANDAS that mirrors some of the more successful ME/CFS treatments. The difference seems to be that more mainstream doctors are willing to accept and implement these treatments for PANDAS than for ME/CFS. Furthermore these treatments are implemented in a systematic and complementary way thus improving the outcomes; e.g. underlying infection is treated at the same as autoimmunity.

You will find many PANDAS communities with stories of recovery from these protocols. I wonder if the same might be true for ME/CFS (at least a subset) if these same treatments were more regularly used.

Treatment protocol:
    • Antibiotics: penicillin, amoxicillin, erythromycin, azithromycin, and clindamycin

• Immunomodulation: IVIG, plasmapheresis, prednisone, rituximab, cellcept, and cyclophosphamide

• Supportive: CBT, antidepressants
    Cunningham panel / PANDAS autoantibodies:
    • Anti-Dopamine Receptor D1
    • Anti-Dopamine Receptor D2L
    • Anti-Lysoganglioside GM1
    • Anti-Tubulin
    Pathogens linked to PANDAS onset:
    • Mycoplasma pneumonia
    • Streptococcus pyogenes
    • Various strains of Lyme
    This is an interesting read on a young girl who recovered from severe PANDAS using rituximab and helminths

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    pattismith, pibee, MEMum and 12 others like this.
  2. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

VERY interesting, thanks...

But...

One can't help but notice...

CBT and antidepressants crop up everywhere!!

Jeez, cure them of x but create a patient for y indefinitely...

Anyways, the rest of it is cool :)

MEMum, Sancar and Charles555nc like this.
  3. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Hahah yes I almost didn't include that part. I suppose if you have treatments targeting the actual disease palliative care can be beneficial.

4. Vojta

Vojta Senior Member

Czech Republic
    Hi @Jesse2233, I just found out today I'm positive for anti dopamin D1 and anti tubulin in cunningham. I'm also positive on 2 antibodies in celltrend test. Dr. suggested Rituximab.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    pattismith, MEMum, Hanna and 3 others like this.
  5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    This is an excellent in depth discussion of PANDAS treatment protocols and recovery

MEMum and pibee like this.
  6. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    The Cunningham Panel also tests for the following, as described on their website:

MEMum and Jesse2233 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.