• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Palpitations taking Potassium

Gingergrrl

@caledonia Thank you for the info and you have not confused me but the info itself is confusing as there seem to be so many different theories on how to do methylation!

Since I had a pretty significant and scary over-methylation reaction when I first attempted and then a minor negative reaction the second time, I am quite hesitant to try it again. But you re-assured me that with my SNP's that I might have a better time of it with hydroxy b-12 which makes me want to give it one more shot (if I could figure out all the ratios.)

I was wondering if it would be okay to send you a PM at some point as I've now taken this thread off the topic of palpitations from potassium (and apologize to the original poster!!!)

gracee41

Gingergrrl, it is fine the thread went off topic. I am learning a lot just by reading the posts. Although, I have to admit, I'm unsure of many things at this point. I will be starting Hydroxy as soon as I receive it. However, I still have no clue when to introduce the folinic acid. Guess I will continue to read, read, and read more.

caledonia

@caledonia Thank you for the info and you have not confused me but the info itself is confusing as there seem to be so many different theories on how to do methylation!

Since I had a pretty significant and scary over-methylation reaction when I first attempted and then a minor negative reaction the second time, I am quite hesitant to try it again. But you re-assured me that with my SNP's that I might have a better time of it with hydroxy b-12 which makes me want to give it one more shot (if I could figure out all the ratios.)

I was wondering if it would be okay to send you a PM at some point as I've now taken this thread off the topic of palpitations from potassium (and apologize to the original poster!!!)

Yes, you can PM me.

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
@caledonia Thanks for the info and I was wondering if you can recommend a brand of the hydroxy and adenosyl B-12's that you like? Do you think that I should take 20 mg of each one to start or do they need a certain ratio?

Also, how much M-folate would correlate with that? The M-folate that I bought (but have not opened) is 800 mcg and I was going to cut it in quarters (so 200 mcg) but that seems way too high compared to the amount of B-12.

I take a prescription Potassium supplement of 20 meq so I think I am okay with that. I do not take lecithin or TMG so I am also okay there. Thank you so much again for all the info.
Gingergirl, I am methyl sensitive and I got some of Yasko's hydroxy b12 and it is very good; you get lots of drops per bottle justifying the cost. I imagine the adeno is similar but haven't tried it.

dannybex

Hydroxy will convert to both methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. Adenosyl is for the mitos and doesn't have methyl groups, so you can't take adenosyl alone and hope to fix methylation.

If you can't take methylcobalmin, then try hydroxycobalamin. If they're all bad, check for CBS expression, and if that's occurring, do treatment for that.

I just wanted to note that Dr. Ben Lynch disagrees with Yasko when it comes to the CBS issue, especially when it comes to reducing sulfur or sulfur-based supplements. A recent quote from Facebook:

"...absolutely fine to take taurine - it supports magnesium absorption and electrolyte balance. The whole CBS upregulation and reducing sulfur long term is far from safe - or accurate. One needs sulfur - and this little bit of taurine is not going to harm - in fact, it's going to support."

dannybex

Other ingredients are listed as follows: Purified water, aloe vera barbandensis leaf juice, MSM, propenediol (all natural, petroleum free), carbamide, octyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, urea, octil palmitate, triethanolaminem stearic acid (vegetable source), rose canina oil, panthenol, PEG 8 Stearate, cocos nuciferas, Gardenia tahitensis flower extract, glycerin, polysorbate 65, sodium hyaluronate (100%), natural vitamin E, TEA-Carbomer, citrus peel oils & extracts (orange) (natural anti-virals), deazolidinyl urea and iolopropynyl butylcarbamate, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel extract (natural anti-virals).

I haven't had palpitations, but have had issues with potassium and electrolyte balance. It can be due to so many different issues, and I'm not in a position (or have the energy right now) to elaborate, but just want to say that all those extra ingredients don't sound so good to me, and might be complicating the picture. And if they are, how do you figure out which one (or two or three, etc.) is causing the problem?

ahmo

@dannybex I posted here, page 2, #38, re my recent experiment w/ taurine. Reading this thread, and having a symptom that was being discussed, I decided to stray from my understood sulfur intolerance. I've had consistent negative reactions when using ALA, other sulfur-containing supps, and foods. I put aside my bias, and had an extremely negative reaction to taurine. So far my experience w/ sulfur has been consistent w/ Yasko's position.

dannybex

@ahmo I totally understand. We're all different, and have different reactions. I was using taurine about 3-4 months ago, without problem (I think), but then let it slip, and my muscle cramps, spasms (electrolyte issues) have increased. And even with my muscle loss (and fat loss in my legs, feet) I still have edema, so am trying taurine again. But since it has mild diuretic properties, I think it can cause or worsen electrolyte issues as well. Comp-li-cated and Frus-trat-ing. :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
We're all different, and have different reactions. I was using taurine about 3-4 months ago, without problem (I think), but then let it slip, and my muscle cramps, spasms (electrolyte issues) have increased. And even with my muscle loss (and fat loss in my legs, feet) I still have edema, so am trying taurine again.

I've been taking taurine in the hopes of preventing Atrial Fibrillation. I don't take the arginine part of the protocol that is outlined in the linked article though. I don't notice any adverse effects from taurine and I haven't had Afib since starting it, but of course that is no proof that it is working.

Sushi

caledonia

I just wanted to note that Dr. Ben Lynch disagrees with Yasko when it comes to the CBS issue, especially when it comes to reducing sulfur or sulfur-based supplements. A recent quote from Facebook:

"...absolutely fine to take taurine - it supports magnesium absorption and electrolyte balance. The whole CBS upregulation and reducing sulfur long term is far from safe - or accurate. One needs sulfur - and this little bit of taurine is not going to harm - in fact, it's going to support."

That's interesting because I was just watching one of his videos where he gives instructions for a "lite" CBS treatment. He suggests the CBS treatment in case you're having trouble with sulfur foods or supps. You would stop sulfur foods or supps for awhile, then also do molybdenum.

He also says something about if you have zero tolerance to methylfolate or methylcobalamin it can be caused by the creation of a high SAM:SAH ratio. This would cause the body to express CBS with a 5X upregulation as a way of draining out methyl groups to regulate the SAM:SAH ratio.

It's in this video: http://www.seekinghealth.com/folate-metabolism-mthfr.html I was able to get it for free by signing up for one his other presentations.

As far as taurine, I was taking gobs and gobs of taurine while doing CBS treatment. I was following the free thiol diet instead of a low sulfur diet, and it still worked. Taurine doesn't have free thiols. So I do disagree with Yasko about reducing sulfur per se.

I'm not sure what he's talking about, reducing sulfur long term. CBS treatment is about 8 weeks give or take. Then you can resume sulfur foods.

dannybex

That's interesting because I was just watching one of his videos where he gives instructions for a "lite" CBS treatment. He suggests the CBS treatment in case you're having trouble with sulfur foods or supps. You would stop sulfur foods or supps for awhile, then also do molybdenum.

As far as taurine, I was taking gobs and gobs of taurine while doing CBS treatment. I was following the free thiol diet instead of a low sulfur diet, and it still worked. Taurine doesn't have free thiols. So I do disagree with Yasko about reducing sulfur per se.

I'm not sure what he's talking about, reducing sulfur long term. CBS treatment is about 8 weeks give or take. Then you can resume sulfur foods.

I believe I watched the same video last night on youtube. He may have changed his views since then (I think it was posted Sept 2013?).

I was confused as well, so asked the question on their product page. I got an email from a nice young woman with kind of a cut and paste of Yasko information she had found, to which I replied with the quote from the Seeking Health page, and then got the second reply, apologizing and saying:

"In this case, Dr. Lynch does disagree with the resource I used when researching my answer. According to Dr. Lynch, taking taurine should not be a problem or cause for concern for individuals with CBS mutations if they need it, noting that many are deficient in taurine (especially if they have GI infections)."