1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Palmitoylethanolamide reduces granuloma-induced hyperalgesia by modulation of mast cell activation i

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by nanonug, Oct 30, 2012.

1. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Mol Pain. 2011 Jan 10;7:3.
    Palmitoylethanolamide reduces granuloma-induced hyperalgesia by modulation of mast cell activation in rats.

De Filippis D, Luongo L, Cipriano M, Palazzo E, Cinelli MP, de Novellis V, Maione S, Iuvone T.
    Source

Department of Experimental Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Naples Federico II, Via D, Montesano 49, Naples, Italy.
    Abstract

The aim of this study was to obtain evidences of a possible analgesic role for palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) in chronic granulomatous inflammation sustained by mast cell (MC) activation in rats at 96 hours. PEA (200-400-800 μg/mL), locally administered at time 0, reduced in a concentration-dependent manner the expression and release of NGF in comparison with saline-treated controls. PEA prevented nerve formation and sprouting, as shown by histological analysis, reduced mechanical allodynia, evaluated by Von Frey filaments, and inhibited dorsal root ganglia activation. These results were supported by the evidence that MCs in granuloma were mainly degranulated and closely localized near nerve fibres and PEA significantly reduced MC degranulation and nerves fibre formation. These findings are the first evidence that PEA, by the modulation of MC activation, controls pain perception in an animal model of chronic inflammation, suggesting its potential use for the treatment of all those painful conditions in which MC activation is an initial key step.

PMID: 21219627
  2. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    Thanks for all of these posts, Nanonug. Palmitoylethanolamide is available over-the-counter as Normast. It's used in interstitial cystitis. No surprise there given the connection between MCAS and IC. Have you seen any other sources of palmitoylethanolamide?

ETA: I just remembered that James Baraniuk at the 2011 NIH State of Knowledge Conference recommended medical marijuana. Maybe he was onto something. Will have to hunt up the video and watch it again. I have a couple of cousins with fibromyalgia who use medical marijuana and swear by it. Of course it's not a legal option in most states as it is here in Oregon. So ridiculous.

See more popular forum discussions.