• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paleolithic people ate porridge

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Jeez. That sucks. :( I'm sorry. I had heard coconut was pretty hypoallerginic which is why I suggested it.
I know! I became enthusiastic about coconut when I saw it recommended in those "leaky gut diet" websites and even made my very creamy homemade coconut milk. But when I drank it I had intestine-ache almost instantly.

Effi

@MeSci @whodathunkit (can't remember who else was talking about quinoa?)
My recipe for quinoa (if you have the energy to make it) from my long gone macrobiotic days: dry roast the quinoa in a pot (no oil) until it smells slightly nutty, add organic lemon zest and some salt and pepper, then add double the amount of hot water (caution - pretty explosive cause everything's hot) and cook on a low flame until the water is absorbed. You can also add some lemon juice afterwards. There's something about the bitterness of the quinoa and the intensity of the lemon that goes very well together. This also tastes good cold (eg in a salad) so I guess you could make a larger batch and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Hey @MeSci and @Beyond: have you tried coconut butter? It's just ground up coconuts. It's the same consistency as other fresh nut butters (sometimes it separates so you have to stir it, etc.), with all the benefit of coconut (saturated fats, MCT, etc.). It's deeply yummy and on toast with some jelly or marmalade it tastes like heaven. I'm thinking on buckwheat pancakes with some jelly that might ratchet up the yummy another notch or two. I plan to try those in the near.

Or even on potatoes. I've mixed it in with my porridge and sweet potatoes to good effect, so don't see why it wouldn't mix well into other starches.

Also, I expect quinoa might taste good with honey and butter, if you can eat those. I haven't eaten quinoa in years but honey and butter make pretty much everything taste better. :)

I use a lot of coconut oil but avoid things with added sugar in, or just very high in sugar. I seem to be intolerant of buckwheat.

I don't eat honey or butter as they are animal products and I'm vegan, and honey is very sugary.

I try to keep my diet low-GI as far as is possible when a vegan.

MeSci

@MeSci @whodathunkit (can't remember who else was talking about quinoa?)
My recipe for quinoa (if you have the energy to make it) from my long gone macrobiotic days: dry roast the quinoa in a pot (no oil) until it smells slightly nutty, add organic lemon zest and some salt and pepper, then add double the amount of hot water (caution - pretty explosive cause everything's hot) and cook on a low flame until the water is absorbed. You can also add some lemon juice afterwards. There's something about the bitterness of the quinoa and the intensity of the lemon that goes very well together. This also tastes good cold (eg in a salad) so I guess you could make a larger batch and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.

What do you do with the quinoa then? Just quinoa and salad sounds rather bland.

perchance dreamer

Quinoa doesn't have a lot of flavor although dry toasting it first does add some. I think of it more as a vehicle for vegetables.

After it cools, I toss it in a pungent lemon and garlic dressing and then add vegetables such as red bell pepper, artichokes, or cooked asparagus. Then I add some kind of chopped herbs such as chives or oregano. To gild the lily, I'll garnish it with olives and toasted nuts.

whodathunkit

I use a lot of coconut oil but avoid things with added sugar in, or just very high in sugar. I seem to be intolerant of buckwheat
Then you might try the coconut butter on plain potatoes. I haven't tried that yet but that's mostly because I typically try to balance flavors in my meals (bitter + spicy + sweet + salty + bland + umami) so I like my white potatoes as plain as possible (with just salt plus butter or regular coconut oil).

Sorry for going on about the coconut butter but IMO it's an underappreciated product that should have a wider audience. :D

Effi

What do you do with the quinoa then? Just quinoa and salad sounds rather bland.
I used to eat this with oven roasted vegetables (peppers, carrots, red onion, courgette/zucchini + olive oil/s&p/oregano - 20 min. on 180°C) and some feta cheese or halloumi over mixed greens.

MeSci

Then you might try the coconut butter on plain potatoes. I haven't tried that yet but that's mostly because I typically try to balance flavors in my meals (bitter + spicy + sweet + salty + bland + umami) so I like my white potatoes as plain as possible (with just salt plus butter or regular coconut oil).

Sorry for going on about the coconut butter but IMO it's an underappreciated product that should have a wider audience. :D

I do usually have coconut oil on potatoes, and sometimes peanut butter as well. I may try coconut butter instead sometime - or as well!

Gondwanaland

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26511097/
↓ Full text
Oatmeal porridge: impact on microflora-associated characteristics in healthy subjects.
Valeur J, et al. Br J Nutr. 2015.
Show full citation
Abstract
Oatmeal porridge has been consumed for centuries and has several health benefits. We aimed to investigate the effect of oatmeal porridge on gut microflora functions. A total of ten healthy subjects ingested 60 g oatmeal porridge daily for 1 week. The following microflora-associated characteristics were assessed before and after the intervention: intestinal gas production following lactulose ingestion, faecal excretion of SCFA and faecal levels of urease and β-galactosidase. In addition, rectal levels of PGE2 were measured. Microbial fermentation as evaluated by intestinal gas production and excretion of SCFA did not change significantly following the dietary intervention. However, faecal levels of β-galactosidase and urease decreased after eating oatmeal porridge (P=0·049 and 0·031, respectively). Host inflammatory state, as measured by rectal levels of PGE2, also decreased, but the change was not significant (P=0·168). The results suggest that oatmeal porridge has an effect on gut microbial functions and may possess potential prebiotic properties that deserve to be investigated further.

Gondwanaland

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26557006
World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Nov 7;21(41):11825-31. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v21.i41.11825.
Role of oats in celiac disease.
Comino I1, Moreno Mde L1, Sousa C1.
Author information

Abstract
A gluten-free diet is currently the only effective means of treating individuals with celiac disease. Such a diet enables celiac patients to control their symptoms and avoid various complications associated with this condition. However, while the quality of gluten-free foods has significantly improved during recent decades, maintenance of a gluten-free diet does not necessarily ensure adequate nutritional intake. Because oats are an important source of proteins, lipids, vitamins, minerals, and fibre, their inclusion in a gluten-free diet might improve the nutritional status of a celiac patient. Although oats are included in the list of gluten-free ingredients specified in European regulations, their safety when consumed by celiac patients remains debatable. Some studies claim that pure oats are safe for most celiac people, and contamination with other cereal sources is the main problem facing people with this disease. However, it is necessary to consider that oats include many varieties, containing various amino acid sequences and showing different immunoreactivities associated with toxic prolamins. As a result, several studies have shown that the immunogenicity of oats varies depending on the cultivar consumed. Thus, it is essential to thoroughly study the variety of oats used in a food ingredient before including it in a gluten-free diet.

I don't even want to think about what was in my adipose. :wide-eyed::nervous:

The gall bladder stuff recently has been particularly hard, since gb and pancreatitis symptoms are so similar and I'm paranoid about my pancreas because of the blood sugar issues and my past lifestyle (heavy drinker).

But enough of that. Don't want to derail the thread.

Just jumping in, whodathunkit, because I think I have pancreatitis. My fecal pancreatic elastase was off the charts and I have symptoms. In spite of having ME - I was drinking - not a whole lot and just these past 2 years due to an unbelievable stressor, but I guess my number is up and I have no idea what's next. So I'm no booze. no coffee and no fats awaiting a GI appointment. Without these habits I hope to find out what my real state of health is. I had shed alot of weight between 2006 and 2011and wonder if that put my pancreas as risk also. Just wonder about what you did to dx your pancreatitis. Jo

whodathunkit

Just jumping in, whodathunkit, because I think I have pancreatitis. My fecal pancreatic elastase was off the charts and I have symptoms. In spite of having ME - I was drinking - not a whole lot and just these past 2 years due to an unbelievable stressor, but I guess my number is up and I have no idea what's next. So I'm no booze. no coffee and no fats awaiting a GI appointment. Without these habits I hope to find out what my real state of health is. I had shed alot of weight between 2006 and 2011and wonder if that put my pancreas as risk also. Just wonder about what you did to dx your pancreatitis. Jo
Jo, honestly, I think my problem was gall bladder, not pancreas. Problems with either of them give off the same symptoms. Have you had an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gall bladder problems? Weight loss can precipitate gall stones, especially in women. When I had the ultrasound there was "evidence of calculi" in my gall bladder, but pancreas showed no inflammation. That was the only test I got.

I haven't been having any symptoms for several months. If I had kept having symptoms I would have gone for more tests, but so far not necessary. I plan to get another ultrasound next year. I'm careful to use digestive enzymes esp. with big meals, although I try not to eat real big meals any more. I use apple cider vinegar a few times per week as that's anecdotally supposed to help dissolve gall stones. Who knows the truth of that. But I know from my own experience that ACV will stop symptoms of a gb attack if you take it when you first start to feel twinges.

I wish I could be more helpful but I don't know anything more about pancreatitis than I did when I posted before. I'm still paranoid about my own pancreas but signs point to gb not pancreas at the present time. I wish you the best of luck.