• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paleolithic people ate porridge

alicec

Ho much, how often, how do you prepare it?

Sorry missed this question. Now I cook 1 cup steel cut oats in 4 cups water with 1 tsp salt. Just add oats to boiling water, reduce heat and simmer about 30 min stirring from time to time. This makes 4 meals - about 3/4 cup cooked porridge each time. I eat it with sheep yogurt and a little fruit - usually berries. I eat that 4 days in a row then have something else for a couple of days then make more porridge.

In the beginning I ate much less than that, built up slowly.

whodathunkit

Case anyone's interested, quicker cooking time is another thing I like about the Scottish oats v. steel cut oats...the Scottish oatmeal is ground instead of chopped up and takes less time to cook. The ratio of oats : water is 3 water : 1 oats.

Like @alicec I whip up a largish amount (double or triple what I normally eat in one meal) and then refrigerate or freeze it. I do this for convenience rather than to create resistant starch, but hopefully this has a little bit of RS value. To reheat I put them in the oven on about 175F for a half hour (thaw before doing this if they're frozen) and let it heat up while I'm doing other things (even if the "other things" is only sitting on my arse watching Netflix). I think I like the texture of oven-reheated foods better than nuked, although I definitely use the nuke if I'm in a hurry.

Nice find, Izzy! But soybeans are also estrogenic and goitrogenic so IMO it might not be fair to say weight gain from soybean oil is all due to omega-6. Would've been nice if they'd had another group consuming only canola oil or another popular additive vegetable oil to compare that to the soybean/coconut and coconut-only cohorts.

Last edited:

Sidereal

Just to add, I don't recommend anyone follow my lame "recipe". Who knows what nuking does to the resistant polysaccharides in oat. Sadly I have no choice but to use the microwave more than I'd like to due to orthostatic intolerance.

adreno

PR activist
In the U.S. the consumption of soybean oil has increased greatly in the last four decades due to a number of factors, including results from studies in the 1960s that found a positive correlation between saturated fatty acids and the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Damn those "studies"!

whodathunkit

Goodness, @Sidereal: who said anything about lame? I fervently hope that's not what you thought I meant.

I was just presenting alternatives, cuz I've found that tthe "Scottish" oats only takes 10 minutes to cook v. 30 mins with steel-cut, and it's still a whole food product. If you can whip up a pot of that and portion it out into smaller serving containers you can still throw it in the oven or the nuke to reheat. IMO throwing stuff in the oven for a half hour to reheat is as trouble-free as nuking, although it does require a bit of advance planning. But the actual effort it requires is no more.

If you're too sick to expend the initial energy it takes to cook a large batch, then do what you can. What I said in no way means that the nuke is bad (it is not; I have one and use it frequently) or that you're "lame". Really. :)

Sidereal

@whodathunkit, no, my comment wasn't directed at you, just pointing out that cooking it normally is probably preferable to nuking it. All my meals are lame / very basic due to OI and the need to apportion my brief time upright to more important activities than cooking, that's all.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
BTW, the protein in oats that can cause intolerance is avenin. I think I am intolerant of it, as I improved a lot after quitting gluten, but then relapsed when I had some oats, so ditched them. Always hard to be sure of the causes of symptoms, but I decided to be on the safe side, and to be honest I really don't like oats anyway!

I also seem to be one of those who can't tolerate buckwheat - or not much anyway (and I know it's not a grain).

How do folks here get on with quinoa? I find it very bland, but I might be able to make it palatable with spices, etc., it might be a good way for a vegan to get more protein.

Oci

Then one day I run out of bananas and noticed my skin improved 5%. Then after one week without bananas my skin improved 40%. It took me a while to understand the oxalate/amine/gut issues.
Hi, I'm just tuning in here and to a lot of other threads but don't understand the connection between bananas and oxalate/amine/gut issues. I do know that barely ripe bananas are still a starch but then turn into a sugar. I get migraines and have read to only eat bananas before showing little brown spots on peel.

So much to learn!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
BTW, the protein in oats that can cause intolerance is avenin. I think I am intolerant of it, as I improved a lot after quitting gluten, but then relapsed when I had some oats, so ditched them. Always hard to be sure of the causes of symptoms, but I decided to be on the safe side, and to be honest I really don't like oats anyway!

I also seem to be one of those who can't tolerate buckwheat - or not much anyway (and I know it's not a grain).

How do folks here get on with quinoa? I find it very bland, but I might be able to make it palatable with spices, etc., it might be a good way for a vegan to get more protein.

You are gonna have a lot of work with the people linking mice studies *chuckle*

I eat buckwheat pancakes almost everyday. Have mastered the method and they are yummy now with some mermelade :D Add peanut butter for an allergenic overload with a sinful taste.

Quinoa is awesome nutritionally but I found out I don´t digest it when consumed whole, boiled. Same as amaranth.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
You are gonna have a lot of work with the people linking mice studies *chuckle*

I eat buckwheat pancakes almost everyday. Have mastered the method and they are yummy now with some mermelade :D Add peanut butter for an allergenic overload with a sinful taste.

Quinoa is awesome nutritionally but I found out I don´t digest it when consumed whole, boiled. Same as amaranth.

I was eating buckwheat pancakes every day but made them from a mix. After a while my health seemed to deteriorate again, but of course it may have been for a different reason. I seem to be OK with peanut butter. I sometimes use it on roast potatoes or mix it into mashed potato for added flavour.

whodathunkit

Hey @MeSci and @Beyond: have you tried coconut butter? It's just ground up coconuts. It's the same consistency as other fresh nut butters (sometimes it separates so you have to stir it, etc.), with all the benefit of coconut (saturated fats, MCT, etc.). It's deeply yummy and on toast with some jelly or marmalade it tastes like heaven. I'm thinking on buckwheat pancakes with some jelly that might ratchet up the yummy another notch or two. I plan to try those in the near.

Or even on potatoes. I've mixed it in with my porridge and sweet potatoes to good effect, so don't see why it wouldn't mix well into other starches.

Also, I expect quinoa might taste good with honey and butter, if you can eat those. I haven't eaten quinoa in years but honey and butter make pretty much everything taste better. :)

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey @MeSci and @Beyond: have you tried coconut butter? It's just ground up coconuts. It's the same consistency as other fresh nut butters (sometimes it separates so you have to stir it, etc.), with all the benefit of coconut (saturated fats, MCT, etc.). It's deeply yummy and on toast with some jelly or marmalade it tastes like heaven. I'm thinking on buckwheat pancakes that might ratchet up the yummy another notch or two. I plan to try those in the near.
Sounds like something with great culinary possibilities, haven´t tried yet, but apparently I am horribly intolerant to coconut. :(