A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pains in calf.

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Fuzzyhead, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

I keep getting a pain in my right calf at night for the last few weeks, like i have been exercising or stretched it too much (which i haven't). I am starting to get it through the day now too. Is this a vitamin or mineral deficiency? Been ill 14yrs and this is new.

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    You might want to put more in your title so people have a clue what you are talking about. I thought baby cow.

3. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    I get pain in my right calf when I have blood pooling due to orthostatic intolerance. Does the pain subside when you've been lying down for awhile?

4. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

No i was getting it in bed too last night.

5. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Magnesium (citrate or malate) has helped me to relieve muscle tightness and mild pain that I get in my legs at night. I need roughly 150mg. Some people need more.

Has anything changed in your daily routine that might have lead to this new pain? New meds, supplements, foods, stress?

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

Is magnesium citrate or malate the same as epsom salts?

7. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

This happened to me as well a few weeks back. It disappeared a few days later, as quickly as it appeared.

For whatever reason, Melvin Ramsay singled out calf pain and neck pain as being the most prominent locations for myalgia in this disease.

8. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Very interesting. I find I suffer from both low potassium and magnesium and taking the potassium supplement prescribed is helpful... while I can't seem to find a magnesium supplement that I can tolerate, I find Epsom salt baths are tremendously helpful for me.

And yeah... neck pain & calf pain has been one of my most consistent chronic pain locations.

9. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. I think Epsom salts are most often used externally. The magnesium citrate that I take is a product from Vitacost called Natural Tranquility.

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Montreal
    Shoemaker talks about the extremities being especially prone to nighttime cramping in those with mold/biotoxin illness.
    Maybe something to consider.

11. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Lower calf pain was the first recognisable symptom I had 20 years ago (alongside migraine) and has persisted ever since. For me its a throbbing, diffuse pain that is exacerbated by tiredness. Painkillers don't do much for it, but even small amounts of sleep will reduce it immediately. It is usually a good indication of the arrival & severity of PEM for me.

Luckily for me I've found that taking a good vitamin and mineral supplement has reduced the frequency/severity of it, along with frequent uncontrollable muscle twitching that I also experienced regularly. Potassium/magnesium insufficiency has been mentioned?

12. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

Self Trigger point therapy using a ball has been the most effective treatment I've tried. It doesn't get to the root of why trigger points are being created repeatedly in my calve muscles, but it is good symptomatic treatment.

See more popular forum discussions.