Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Painkillers may aid superbugs fight

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by heapsreal, Mar 16, 2014.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2014/03/16/15/37/painkillers-may-aid-superbugs-fight

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) - which include ibuprofen and are used to relieve pain and fever - may also kill bacteria, a study found.

Research published in the Cell Press journal Chemistry and Biology suggests NSAIDs act on bacteria in a way that is fundamentally different from antibiotics.

Experts believe the discovery could pave the way for new treatments to fight "superbugs" which are resistant to current antibiotics.

Dr Aaron Oakley, from the University of Wollongong, led the study on three NSAIDs: bromfenac, carprofen and vedaprofen.

"We discovered that some anti-inflammatory drugs used in human and veterinary medicine have weak antibiotic activity and that they exert this secondary activity by preventing bacteria from copying their DNA, which they need to do in order to multiply.

"The fact that the bacteria-killing effect of the anti-inflammatory drugs is different from conventional drugs means that the NSAIDS could be developed into new kinds of antibiotics that are effective against so-called superbugs.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fibro treatment theory of antivirals with celebrex for research/study also??

natasa778, Helen, shannah and 2 others like this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @heapsreal

I think that fibro study is finding that celebrex and other NSAIDS (certain presciptions ones) themselves have antiviral properties--as well as the actual antivirals that are actually used in the study.

Sushi

heapsreal likes this.
  3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I thought stuff like advil is bad (leaky gut related)???? that wouldn't make sense.

See more popular forum discussions.