Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

pain.

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Fuzzyhead, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Senior Member

Is it common to have joint pain/stiffness? I woke up a few months ago in the middle of the night and my left index finger was so stiff and i had to keep bending it for the pain to gradually subside. Since then it hasn't been the same it's weaker and if i catch it on something a certain way it really hurts. It since has done the same on my right side now. Also my elbow joints are stiff in the morning.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Joint pain has certainly been a feature of my illness over the years. This happens in multiple joints but I have particular difficulty with my hands, including the finger joints. Sometimes just one joint in a finger and sometimes multiple joints in the hand. Sometimes inadvertently "catching" the joint(s) when pulling on clothing or moving bedding is really sore. Sometimes the joints seem weaker or more unstable.

If you have had ME for a while and this is new to you it might be worth getting it checked. Things they'll want to know include:
    1. Is it worse 1st thing in the morning and does it then wear off?
    2. Does movement gradually make it better or worse?
    3. Is there any redness or swelling about the joint?
    4. Does it hurt to touch the joint?

It might also be worth considering if you have made any changes to your diet or medication lately.

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how you get on.

alkt likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.