• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain: Too much, or too little exercise?

Arius

I first got sick about a year and a half ago. A few months in, I started to get pain in my joints. I'm not sure if this is because of some sort of auto-immune attack on my tissues, or whether it's pain from lack of exercise / the sedentary lifestyle I've been forced to adopt.

Then, a week or so ago, I started having low back pain and sciatica. To combat this, I started doing light yoga daily, focussing especially on my hamstrings and glutes. That helped with the pain, although it keeps coming back. But now, for the past few days my glutes have been sore. It hurts to sit down. This isn't healthy pain. It's a deep ache.

So I'm wondering...

Is this is happening because I spend all day either sitting down or laying on my back?
Or is this happening because I pushed my yoga routine too hard?

If it's because I'm sitting too much, the solution may involve MORE yoga.
If it's because I'm doing too much yoga, then the solution is obviously to do LESS yoga.

Thoughts?

hellytheelephant

Every situation is different...but with ME the solution is almost never MORE exercise ( unfortunately). I also have pain in lower back,.glutes and sciatica, and I have learnt through bitter experience that if I extend my physical activity then the pain goes up. I also limit sitting, ride in the car with the seat back, and sit on memory foam.

I used to do daily yoga before the back pain kicked in, when ME was not too bad, but feel I made it worse-I think yoga is more strenous than most people think.

I think with ME and exercise it is counter intuitive: if you had an acute problem, then gradually building up your exercise would get you fitter. In our case we cannot get fit ( even stretching can cause problems).
I have found my body will tolerate a little tai chi for seniors ( very easy) every day.

Skippa

Anti-BS
It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Of course a sedentary lifestyle is going to take its toll in one way or another.

But then, going over your activity threshold will also take its toll, and possibly worsen your condition.

It's a cruel trap, good luck figuring out which it worse!

taniaaust1

"This isn't healthy pain. It's a deep ache."

that says it all. do less.

Most know what the healthy pain of a hard work out feels like which can make the muscles burn.. healthy pain from a hard work out in a healtnhy person can have one walking funny due to sore leg muscles but one still knows its healthy pain. ME pain isn't that... you know you are having pain which isn't healthy.

Seven7

Seven
If it's because I'm sitting too much, the solution may involve MORE yoga.
If it's because I'm doing too much yoga, then the solution is obviously to do LESS yoga.

Thoughts?
OK so Here are my two cents, I just went to a very interesting experience. Is not the exercise the problem but the right type for the pain you are trying to address.

So I have been struggling with shoulder pain, chiropractor, massages and all kind of stuff I tried for 2 years or so. I went to a new physical therapy. and She determined where the pain was coming from. So she put the sonogram to get the knots pain out, at the same time to do some strengthening exercise. Very gentle w a very soft band. I was very skeptical at first, but noticed my back/shoulder pain was gone in a few days. And it has been gone. She got in a few days done what others couldn't in years.

So lesson learnt? when u strengthen the right muscles does not mean more effort. Just targeted where the effort is needed to address a particular pain.

Work smarter not harder.

Skippa

Anti-BS
I've heard from a few people who found yoga bad for pain compared to other forms of exercise. It can put strain on joints, etc? Best of luck finding something that works for you. Personally, I would just try different little things and see if anything seem to help a bit, rather than following any guide from the internet. We can all be so different.