• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain in Sternoclavicular joint

fireflymd

Anyone else diagnosed with Lyme her pain in their sternoclavicular joint? (This is the joint between your breastbone and your collarbone).

Inflammation in this joint comes and goes, and I’m wondering if it is due to Lyme.

Helen

@fireflymd , I had rather severe pain in these joints before my Lyme infection was treated with antibiotics. It could even cause pain while deep breathing. I think Dr. R. Horowitz wrote about this symptom in his books. It´s also called costochondritis.

fireflymd

@fireflymd , I had rather severe pain in these joints before my Lyme infection was treated with antibiotics. It could even cause pain while deep breathing. I think Dr. R. Horowitz wrote about this symptom in his books. It´s also called costochondritis.

I’m glad to hear your costochondritis pain resolved with treating Lyme.

Actually, costochondritis is pain in the joints between the ribs and the breastbone.

I ask about the sternoclavicular joint (the joint between the collarbone and the breastbone) because there is an autoimmune condition associated with this particular joint, and I’m curious if anyone saw relief in this joint with treating Lyme.

fireflymd

Sorry @fireflymd that I didn´t read ( or rather think) clearly about the affected joints you were referring to.

Oh gosh, that’s fine! Please know my response was said in the nicest way. I’m not good at relaying messages—I can’t tell how I “sound” unfortunately. I don’t “come off well” when posting.

Actually what you wrote is pretty significant, because I read Horowitz’s book but I don’t think I really paid attention to that (or I forgot it, one of the cognitive problems I’m having).

Thank you for posting that information!