1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(PACE Trial) Response to FoI request: Numbers within normal ranges for CFQ and SF36 PF at baseline

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 16, 2013.

1. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    That's the way I learned (and did) scientific research. :)

Sea and Bob like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Bob , that is the essence of Critical Rationalism, a philosophy of science expounded by Karl Popper: hypotheses can only ever be disproved, not proved. Science is about debunking stuff more than it is about proving stuff, but somehow people forget that - too many want to prove their ideas right and don't do science that might expose them. Alex.

MeSci, SOC, Sea and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Every time I see these figures, I'm more flabbergasted than the time before.
    They make a mockery of the 'recovery' paper.

Without seeing the raw data, it is possible that most of the participants who were reported as 'recovered' had absolutely no improvement in their SF-36 physical function scores after treatment with CBT. And we know that CBT made no difference to the 6MWDT scores.

But the 'recovered' participants reported that they felt 'much better', so that's OK then.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    MeSci and Dolphin like this.
  4. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

Most likely the CBT training consisted of having people repeat: "I am so much better. I am so much better. I am so much better" and then have them re-do the evaluation at the end.

That's why so much of the CBT research is flawed in my opinion.It doesn't prove that CBT can cure or that the cause is in the mind. It shows that you can condition people like lab rats or dogs to give the desired output the researchers want to see.

Keela Too, MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  5. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Why do I think we've been here before? Ever hear of Emile Coué?

Esther12 and alex3619 like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The results for Coue's positive affirmations were a lot like laetrile for curing cancer. Most are happy, most convinced of cure or improvement, but some time later there turn out to be no cures In the case of laetrile this involved everyone being dead of cancer in a follow-up in Israel.

I think the cults of positivity are still trying to push these ideas.

7. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Great suggestion Alex- hope you are OK?

Ally

See more popular forum discussions.