• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial re-analysis and the 2007 NICE guideline on ME/CFS

Thank you, Charles, for saying that the UK ME/CFS charities need to be, and are listening to what their members are saying. Also for starting this thread which I think has pulled out lots of useful points among PR members. Thanks everyone.

Trouble is they keep going round and round in my head so I thought it might be useful to try and summarise the major themes that I think have come out and here’s my understanding:

We’re concerned, by statements from the MRC and the PACE investigators themselves, amongst many other independent authorities, that the scientific evidence base underpinning the NICE recommended treatments of CBT and GET, was and remains insufficient, to support these treatments being used in a clinical setting.

We’re concerned that important information, as objectively evidenced in the IOM Report about the diagnosis of the disease, its biological basis, its principal symptom (all strongly indicating that the NICE recommended first treatments of choice are contra indicated) is not reflected in the current guidelines.

We’re concerned that the absence of the information in the IOM Report in the NICE Guidelines deprives health care providers in the UK of up to date relevant information on the diagnosis and treatment of ME and is a barrier to patients being able to make an informed choice about what happens to their own bodies.

We’d like to see a return to symptomatic relief and pacing as a first line treatment option, and honesty with patients when they don’t have anything to offer.

We think we should keep up the pressure on NICE to publicly engage with our concerns, recognising that organisational and individual advocacy both have important roles.

And as Jonathon Edwards said in respect of our collective advocacy efforts:

“we have an independent opinion from the Information Officer that the claim the criticism is unreasonable and malicious is nonsense.”

Hope this is a reasonable stab at summarising the major themes; at least it’s what I’ve got from this thread so far. Apologies in advance if I’ve missed things or got some of it wrong.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Thank you, Charles, for saying that the UK ME/CFS charities need to be, and are listening to what their members are saying. Also for starting this thread which I think has pulled out lots of useful points among PR members. Thanks everyone.

Trouble is they keep going round and round in my head so I thought it might be useful to try and summarise the major themes that I think have come out and here’s my understanding:

We’re concerned, by statements from the MRC and the PACE investigators themselves, amongst many other independent authorities, that the scientific evidence base underpinning the NICE recommended treatments of CBT and GET, was and remains insufficient, to support these treatments being used in a clinical setting.

We’re concerned that important information, as objectively evidenced in the IOM Report about the diagnosis of the disease, its biological basis, its principal symptom (all strongly indicating that the NICE recommended first treatments of choice are contra indicated) is not reflected in the current guidelines.

We’re concerned that the absence of the information in the IOM Report in the NICE Guidelines deprives health care providers in the UK of up to date relevant information on the diagnosis and treatment of ME and is a barrier to patients being able to make an informed choice about what happens to their own bodies.

We’d like to see a return to symptomatic relief and pacing as a first line treatment option, and honesty with patients when they don’t have anything to offer.

We think we should keep up the pressure on NICE to publicly engage with our concerns, recognising that organisational and individual advocacy both have important roles.

And as Jonathon Edwards said in respect of our collective advocacy efforts:

“we have an independent opinion from the Information Officer that the claim the criticism is unreasonable and malicious is nonsense.”

Hope this is a reasonable stab at summarising the major themes; at least it’s what I’ve got from this thread so far. Apologies in advance if I’ve missed things or got some of it wrong.
We are also concerned that GET is harmful to a majority of patients, leads to unnecessary suffering, and can lead to their condition becoming permanently worse. So ending the recommendation is a matter of some urgency.

Daisymay

We are also concerned that GET is harmful to a majority of patients, leads to unnecessary suffering, and can lead to their condition becoming permanently worse. So ending the recommendation is a matter of some urgency.

Very well said rosiness and Tired Sam.

The urgency of this needs to be emphasised to NICE, if they amble along and take another year to report back, how many more adults and children will have been made seriously/permanently worse? That's completely unacceptable.

And it needs to be pointed out yet again that it is scientifically, ethically (legally?) untenable for NICE to continue to stand by their guidelines.

With the IOM, NIHP2P, AHRQ Addendum, PACE re-analysis, the fact that the original NICE guidelines were based on a insufficient evidence base the guidelines are clearly not fit for purpose.

I say legally, sorry to harp on about that Charles, but an example of what I'm meaning about getting legal advice is where do NICE stand legally if they persist in recommending treatments which are clearly scientifically untenable and which have caused such harm?

I'm not suggesting anyone takes legal action, merely shouldn't it be pointed out that they must have a legal obligation in their remit to ensure that the treatments NICE recommends for all diseases are safe and scientifically sound?

So would NICE not be in a pickle legally if they persist in promoting scientifically invalid and potentially dangerous treatments?

Shouldn't the charities politely but assertively use this as leverage to get NICE to act?

And I completely agree with Rosieness, as the AHRQ concluded, there is no scientific evidence for any effective treatments for ME/CFS therefore NICE shouldn't recommend ANY treatment other than good quality symptomatic relief from knowledgeable doctors, well versed in in ME.

trishrhymes

I don't know whether this is the right thread to put this in, but I think that even without the PACE reanalysis we have enough peer reviewed published information to show that GET and CBT are ineffective for ME/CFS.

This consists of:

FINE trial on severely effected that showed no significant benefit.

PACE trial long term follow up showed no significant between group differences, ie no significant benefit.

National Outcomes Database study 2013 showed average improvement in physical functioning was less in CFS clinics than any of the groups in the PACE trial, ie the clinics have a worse outcome than no treatment (SMC in PACE).
http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/106/6/555.full

So we have 2 trials (PACE and FINE) showing GET and CBT are no better than doing nothing, and one (NOD) showing they are worse than doing nothing.

I rest my case, your honour.

@charles shepherd you will know all this already, I've only just come across the NOD paper. Surely if these 3 pieces of evidence are put before NICE, they have no room left for argument.

snowathlete

I think the problem is that no one cares.

I think this may be true, but it's also about pressure from the Royal Colleges, Wessely etc. So called experts that actually patients do not recognize. I think patients have had enough. If NICE were to maintain the current guidelines and not abandon GET and CBT I do not think patients will accept that as they did a decade ago. There is enough evidence now that these treatments do not work, and we aren't going to be fobbed off now. We have patient organizations and campaigns that we didn't have before and support from some journalists. If NICE try to impose another ten years of this on us, or even another two or three years of it, we aren't going to accept it, we're going to protest and fight it because it's dangerous and too many of us have been harmed by these treatments.

charles shepherd

worldbackwards

Now here's a thing
Is this guideline up to date?
In 2015 we were told about 3 US reports that indicated there are likely to be changes in diagnostic criteria that could have an impact on the guideline recommendations. We decided to start a check of whether the guideline needs updating, and plan to publish our decision in summer 2017. We have since been made aware of new information about the 2011 PACE trial, and we will also consider that in the check. Register as a stakeholder to be informed about the decision.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53

Though I stand by this
I think the problem is that no one cares.

medfeb

Now here's a thing
From NICE: "In 2015 we were told about 3 US reports that indicated there are likely to be changes in diagnostic criteria that could have an impact on the guideline recommendations. We decided to start a check of whether the guideline needs updating, and plan to publish our decision in summer 2017. We have since been made aware of new information about the 2011 PACE trial, and we will also consider that in the check. Register as a stakeholder to be informed about the decision."

Maybe its just their shorthand or just my lack of knowledge but the above doesn't seem to mention that two US government reports called for Oxford to be retired because it includes patients with other fatiguing conditions. And they also do not mention that the gov reports also affect treatment recommendations - the 2016 AHRQ Addendum which found that once Oxford studies were excluded, there was no evidence of effectiveness of GET and barely any for CBT.

Does anyone - maybe @charles shepherd - know whether they are likely to consider that as well?

Last edited: