Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PACE Trial latest: ME Association to pay for open access to independent [recovery] reanalysis paper

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Tom Kindlon, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

wdb, ahimsa, J.G and 31 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Thanks very much to the ME Association for doing this.

The authors, including me, couldn't afford the fee for open access.

I have now donated £50 to the ME Association.

ME Association donation.png

[Aside: My comment on JustGiving contains a few typos, though I'm not sure that was my fault.]

3. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

4. Tom Kindlon

The full fee is US$2900 but I think they bargained that down to US$2000.

mango, MEMum, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Thanks. So what is the protocol, is this something that the MEA has done "on behalf of" the authors? I ask as it could be something to consider in the future, if we have another study that would be useful if it was open access then we could try to crowd fund it.

thane17, BurnA, MEMum and 5 others like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

I don't have any major insights. The authors agreed that we couldn't afford to pay for it. One person (not one of the authors) said they would contact the ME Association to see whether they would be willing to pay the fee.

BurnA, moosie, Comet and 1 other person like this.
  7. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

OK, thanks Tom. My assumption would be that the authors would have a say in it, unless all control with that sort of thing passes to the publication.

8. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

Yes, we are paying a reduced fee of $2000 to cover the cost of making this very important PACE trial re-analysis paper open access

The fee will be paid from our Medical Education Programme

This money comes from genera funds - not from research funds (i.e. the MEA Ramsay Research Fund)

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

wdb, BurnA, MEMum and 27 others like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    It would be very helpful for advocacy if key papers were public. Crowd funding such things could be very useful.

J.G, anne_likes_red, BurnA and 7 others like this.
  10. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Charles, do you know if this, theoretically, could be done with any paper? Could the authors of a paper stop this happening or is the publisher in total control? Or does it depend on the publisher?

thane17 likes this.
  11. charles shepherd

This has been done in collaboration with the lead author, Carolyn Wilshire.

CS

Valentijn, TiredSam, Comet and 4 others like this.
  12. charles shepherd

As I've just mentioned, this was done in collaboration with the lead author of the paper (Carolyn Wilshire) and then through the publisher of the journal

This is quite a costly thing to do - so it will have to be a very important paper if we are going to consider doing this again

Crowdfunding would be another option

But in the case of the PACE trial re-analysis, there are a number of reasons why we felt it was important to get the full paper into the public domain as soon as possible

As was discussed at the meeting at the House of Lords last week with the Countess of Mar, we can now send the full paper to NICE in relation to their review of published evidence with a view to reviewing the NICE guideline on ME/CFS later in the year

Hopefully, this will have some effect!

13. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    This action feels like a really important statement/landmark in its own right.

MEMum, Solstice, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  14. charles shepherd

15. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    My initial impression from looking at this abstract is that cost-savings due to treatment can probably be entirely explained by the fact that no poor bugger who went through the treatment wanted to go back to the doctor for anything ever again- hence the reduction in healthcare-costs.

Of course, if you're the NHS, this is a win....

Leaving this aside, thank you very much to the MEA and to Dr Wiltshire for the open access!

MEMum, Solstice, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    That's the second time in 2 days I've seen ME/CFS openly called a functional somatic syndrome. Per Fink and Michael Sharpe. They really are going all out for it now, ignoring WHO categorisations and the downfall of PACE. The main problem it seems to me is that they are completely unaccountable and can carry on doing whatever they want regardless of what is going on in ME research elsewhere.

Lindberg, mango, J.G and 12 others like this.
  17. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    That seems the crux of the problem.

moosie, SamanthaJ, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  18. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Democratic deficit in medicine, research, health care. People who in theory should be served by these systems end up being oppressed by them.

SamanthaJ, trishrhymes and Sean like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Thank you MEA. :thumbsup:

A donation will find its way to you shortly to help with the cost. :moneybag:

-----------------------------

Plus Wessely dragging out his 'harassment and deaths threats' routine for yet another dreary turgid recital.

The stark appalling truth is that they could not get away with this ruthless brutal fraud, and have done so for decades, without very high level sustained political protection, from both the medical establishment and various governments.

This intellectual and moral corruption goes all the way to the heart of governance.

thane17, MEMum, SamanthaJ and 7 others like this.
  20. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I suspect Wessely's routine is part of his behind the scenes lobbying to keep others in the british medical establishment from looking at and criticizing PACE. Careers should be ended with the way they have spun results, lied to patients and the NHS, and stigmatized patients.

Having lost the intellectual case behind the PACE results (and I think knowing they would if data was released) they are now going for MUS as an alternative relabeling to confuse and buy themselves time.

MEMum, A.B., SamanthaJ and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.