Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PACE Trial Gets Most Devastating Critique Yet

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

With the PACE house of cards looking to collapse at any moment (although that is by no means a done deal yet), what, theoretically, could state/insurance concerns look forward to for similar conclusions?

Any proposed large scale ME/CFS research studies come to mind?

Kati likes this.
  3. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

The ripple effect and amount of damage done to patients due to PACE is astounding. Seeing the major media articles listed here parroting the study and it's false conclusions was upsetting to me - and I've been following this debacle all along.

But what astounds me too, is that all along thousands of us have been shouting "No! This is wrong and harmful." Yet it seems that the world finds it easier to believe the ridiculous explanation that we are afraid of exercise, or that thousands upon thousands of people are too delusional to realize that all we need is a little fresh air and a happy thought to fix us right up.

It has been disturbingly easy for the world to write us off with a wave of it's collective hand and a sneery raise of it's eyebrow. Hopefully, articles like this one, and like the ones cited within it, will make a difference to how the world sees ME/CFS, the PACE Trial and, most important, to our lives.

MeSci, Invisible Woman, Mary and 9 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The world was being told a story it wanted to hear, so it didn't look too closely.

5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    From the intro:

Very well said.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Edit: This link:

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2016/03/26/pace-trial-gets-devastating-critique-yet/

goes to the Health Rising articles page and allows people to comment without being HR forum members.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Comet likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I believe Cort may have tripped up in describing this error. When you read the article at stats.org, it says that the authors appear to have confused median and mean, not average and mean. Average and mean typically mean the same thing.
    Of course, if I'm wrong about this, I plead the 5th. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    MeSci, Dolphin, Comet and 8 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    No, you're right - why not post a comment? He's always happy to get corrections.

MeSci, Forbin, TiredSam and 1 other person like this.
  9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I expect nothing less from a society that worships the wealthy and despises the rest. I certainly understand why people might not want to look too close at the actual history of unending organized murder and exploitation - it's very depressing to think about, especially while listening to a two-hour CBC Radio special on the 100 year anniversary of the Easter Rising in Ireland.

The Irish fought for 800 years to drive out the UK. I hope it doesn't take that long to drive out the psychobabblers.

Comet likes this.
  10. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

Yes, but the world includes family, close friends, colleagues, etc... in many, many cases, they haven't looked too closely either.

MeSci, Sean and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Actually I think this was deliberate. Its part of why they used non-normalized data and then applied a standard deviation calculation on it. They knew that this would produce a biased result in their favour. There is no excuse.

MeSci, jamie, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I read that White authored a paper where they discussed exactly this error.

Esther12 and Invisible Woman like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    As did I. Has anyone looked it up?

See more popular forum discussions.