1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

PACE Trial data - Freedom of Information request (MRC)

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, May 18, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting - thanks for the post Dolphin.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I like that 'what do they know' site, and have seen some interesting things on there before.

They complained about too many FoI requests coming in for PACE, but it looks like this guy does it for lots of things. A lot of interesting DWP stuff on there. I wonder how he'll get on here.

4. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Hi Esther,

would you have a quote for the complaint about "too many FoI requests coming in for PACE" at all? It'd be useful for me if you do. Thanking you kindly :)

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Errr....

was it from that Australian radio interview? With the Lancet editor? I can't think where else it would have been, but I'm not sure if that's right. Sorry not to be of more use Angela.

Ignore that, it was the ABC radio:

"And indeed the study costs $4 million pounds to undertake but the allegations and the freedom of information requests and the legal fees that have been wrapped up over the years because of these vexatious claims has added another 750,000 pounds of taxpayers' money to the conduct of this study."

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...ents-for-CFS-PACE-trial/page2&highlight=radio

6. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Thanks for this Esther.

7. Guido den Broeder

Guido den Broeder *****

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Would be interesting already if they merely recalculated the statistics, since the authors applied the wrong method. Is it possible for a foreigner to make a similar request?

Regards,

Guido

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The MRC have left a reply saying that they don't have the data and that the applicant should apply to Queen Mary, University of London.
    http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/request_for_raw_data_from_the_pa

The applicant has thus made a fresh FOI request to Queen Mary:
    http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/request_for_raw_data_from_the_pa_2

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Update: The applicant had no luck with the FOI request to Queen Mary.

ETA: Mr. Courtney has been in touch to say that he's following this thread and is looking for any advice or information have about FOI requests e.g. how might he appeal.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Mr Courtney has mentioned this FOI request in a BMJ rapid response today. It is one of four here: http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5731?tab=responses

Valentijn likes this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    lastgasp, peggy-sue and Dolphin like this.

See more popular forum discussions.