• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial commentary in JHP from Dr Charles Shepherd, ME Association

charles shepherd

I have been informed that someone has written to Dr Richard Horton, Editor of The Lancet, and included this commentary.

Dr Horton has replied……let's hope he soon gets a new iphone!

Dear Dr. Horton,

I read your excellent article, “Science and the defeat of fear”, published in the LANCET on the 8th April, 2017. I found myself (passionately) agreeing with every word. Thank you. I really do believe that as a society, if we do not embrace the core points that you raised, then the future will indeed be rather bleak.

With this in mind, please would you consider again, retracting the PACE Trial paper on CFS/ME.

I am confident that you are probably fully aware of the issues surrounding this trial.

However, please could I draw your attention to the article published just today, ‘It’s time for an independent review of the PACE Trial methods and results’ | Dr Charles Shepherd, Journal of Health Psychology | 10 April 2017”.
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/.../its-time-for-an.../...

Within it there are several links which are also of particular interest.

Thanking you for your time and due consideration … etc

This was the response I got almost immediately:

Thank you for your message.
My iphone has died unexpectedly.
I am currently travelling, and so I will not be able to reply to your message as quickly as I would have wished.
Please be patient.
As soon as I have a new iphone, normal service will be resumed.
Don't let anyone ever tell you that technology is a solution for health. Technology fails.

Travel safely,
Richard

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

I am currently travelling, and so I will not be able to reply to your message as quickly as I would have wished.
Please be patient.
Don't let anyone ever tell you that technology is a solution for health. Technology fails.

Travel safely,
Richard
That looks suspiciously like a Wessely-style bluff matey aw shucks self-depracating shrug to me, maybe they take tips from each other.

Whilst everyone was commenting on their favourite bits of the recent @Jonathan Edwards article, no-one mentioned my favourite bit - the use of the phrase "laying it on with a trowel". This was Disraeli's expression when describing how much flattery it was appropriate to use when dealing with Queen Victoria.

Nice to see someone laying it on with a trowel with Dr Horton, it's worth a try. Maybe he'll be amused enough to give a meaningful response at some point.

Last edited:

Barry53

Please be patient.

Travel safely,
Richard
Clever little broken iPhone. Not convinced the failure was technical.

It would seem he's been 'travelling' for quite some time now...

From ME Action Feb 2016:

Dr. Horton’s office had told the original signatories — Drs. Ronald Davis, Jonathan Edwards, Leonard Jason, Bruce Levin, Vincent Racaniello and Arthur Reingold — that he would respond to the letter when he returned from travelling. But, Dr. Racaniello now says, Dr. Horton had “remained silent”.

charles shepherd

The big question is what to do next if The Lancet (and the other medical journals who have published PACE trial results) continue to maintain that there is nothing wrong with either the study design of the PACE trial, or the results that were obtained and published

Wilshire et al have re-analysed the data on recovery and their results have been published:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-the-pace-trial-recovery-paper-22-march-2017/

where they stated:

We conclude that the Recovery paper reported inflated and misleading estimates of
recovery rates in the PACE trial. There is no evidence from this trial that individuals
can recover from CFS as a result of these treatments. Patients and their clinicians should
be made aware of this information when considering whether to enrol in such
programmes.

Over 100 clinicians and academics have signed a joint letter to the editor of Psychological Medicine calling for the retraction of the paper on recovery:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...tion-centre-for-welfare-reform-13-march-2017/

And we now have a number of very critical commentaries from clinicians and academics being published in the Journal of Health Psychology:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-open-access-thanks-to-the-mea-29-march-2017/

But the journals involved just continue to dismiss these concerns..........

CS

Sean

Technology, in the broad sense, includes quality control. Like, for example, peer review.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Yes... Perhaps there is a difference in perspective between those of us who did 100+ experiments during our science undergrad and those who clearly did not... What you think you are measuring isn't always what you are actually measuring. A questionnaire that measures quality of life, or pain or whatever is not quality of life or pain itself.

While I have no science knowledge your comment very much reminds me of reflecting on being a parent and raising children. What you think you're teaching them isn't always aligned with what it is they are learning in that moment.

When you become so focussed on your message (hypothesis) you miss what else is going on in that moment too.

Large Donner

It would seem he's been 'travelling' for quite some time now...

From ME Action Feb 2016:
Dr. Horton’s office had told the original signatories — Drs. Ronald Davis, Jonathan Edwards, Leonard Jason, Bruce Levin, Vincent Racaniello and Arthur Reingold — that he would respond to the letter when he returned from travelling. But, Dr. Racaniello now says, Dr. Horton had “remained silent”.

To be fair he did have a broken pen back then.