• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial commentaries in the Journal of Health Psychology to be made open access

Countrygirl

I still want to buy one for the coffee table. And maybe another one to roll up and smack ME-denialist doctors on the nose with :wide-eyed:

I so agree!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::hug::bang-head::lol:.................except I need a pile of them now.

I have so many candidates lined up after fighting this miserable disease and its consequences for 35 years plus................... :cry:..................and they are growing in number. :( These wretches who are now guilty of wilful ignorance are a huge threat to health and life....................:cry:. A whack across the nose is just ..............inadequate........but I will make do with that for now..................or perhaps I will just let @Valentijn loose on the wretches. :rolleyes: That might provide satisfaction...............................almost. :D

Last edited:

JoanDublin

I've just looked up the JHP website. You can buy back issues of paper copies if in stock. I couldn't find anything about advance orders!
I've asked on twitter.
edit to add: I've just e-mailed the publishers to ask how to buy copies.

Hi Trish. Did they email you back yet? Would like to order a copy or two as well if they're not too expensive

trishrhymes

Here's the e-mail address:

subscriptions@sagepub.co.uk

And here's the reply I received:

'We request you to please confirm if this will be an institutional order or an individual order.
Also please help us with order details (Volume and issue number) and address for a correct price to be quoted.
We will help you with the instructions to send your order request.'

So if you simply send them an e-mail stating that you are a private individual and would like to order a copy (or copies) of:

The Journal of Health Psychology,
Volume 22 Number 9 August 2017
Special Issue
The PACE trial.

And give them your address, they will tell you what to do next.

JoanDublin

Here's the e-mail address:

subscriptions@sagepub.co.uk

And here's the reply I received:

'We request you to please confirm if this will be an institutional order or an individual order.
Also please help us with order details (Volume and issue number) and address for a correct price to be quoted.
We will help you with the instructions to send your order request.'

So if you simply send them an e-mail stating that you are a private individual and would like to order a copy (or copies) of:

Special Issue
The PACE trial.

And give them your address, they will tell you what to do next.

Thanks a million for that :)

alex3619

On Marks' comment, "one of the greatest scandals in the history of medicine #PACEtrial ", I do think this is likely right, but we not only should be prepared to read this is hyperbolic promotion, we should also expect that over the top antipace comments, or anything that can be portrayed as such, will be a part of the BPS defense. Heck, some have seized on benign comments and used them out of context.

I consider the PACE trial to be a fiasco, and a wake up call to medicine. How it compares to other medical crises I do not know. Some very bad things happened in psychiatry early last century, I think they could be worse. Then we have issues like at Tuskegee. PACE might be right up there with such scandals, but the issues are so nebulous, and so pervasive throughout medicine, that its hard to say if PACE is not as bad or worse than others.

What does seem to be the case, is that despite modern medical sophistication, most of the medical community have been led down the yellow brick road with this one. Most have yet to realize they only have to tap their heels together, ummm, I mean actually read these "scientific" papers from the PACE trial. They contain the evidence that shows CBT/GET is a failure, but is touted as success. They need to stop reading only abstracts or reviews in controversial areas! Controversy exists for good reasons.

Sean

I consider the PACE trial to be a fiasco, and a wake up call to medicine. How it compares to other medical crises I do not know. Some very bad things happened in psychiatry early last century, I think they could be worse.
There is considerable truth in that.

But modern psychiatry has no excuse not to have learned from those past mistakes. What is worse, making the mistake in the first instance due to complete ignorance, or repeating the same methodological and ethical mistakes after the warnings from multiple historical examples?

I think the real scandal with PACE and the whole BPS approach is how they got away with it for so long in the UK. They could not have done so without the highest level of political protection, for decades. How did basically every institution and process charged with oversight of governance fail to detect and stop this? (With the critical win at the FOI tribunal in 2016 being a notable exception, that just highlights the whole problem by stark contrast.)

It goes way past just this little corner of medicine. Which may help explain why it has taken so long to even start addressing the issue. Too many reputations and careers are dependent on it not being dealt with. It is just one giant mutual protection racket, and it needs to be busted wide open, at every level.

Last edited:

Kalliope

On Marks' comment, "one of the greatest scandals in the history of medicine #PACEtrial ", I do think this is likely right, but we not only should be prepared to read this is hyperbolic promotion, we should also expect that over the top antipace comments, or anything that can be portrayed as such, will be a part of the BPS defense. Heck, some have seized on benign comments and used them out of context.
Yes, that is a good point. At the same time it might help turning the tide and get more people interested in checking the facts for themselves, leading to a more precise consensus regarding PACE - at least outside England..

For instance, I remember how relieved I got by this tweet from Butterworth, the director of Sense about Science USA. Are people finally waking up?

lilpink

Special Issue
The PACE trial.

Fwiw these are the details for ordering the paper copy from Sage Publications:

"The price for single print issue for Journal of Health Psychology is £6.00GBP.

You can purchase the issue by replying to this email with your payment information, we require the long card number, the card type and the expiry date.

You can also phone or fax this information to the numbers below my signature.

Finally, you can pay with a cheque, made payable to SAGE Publications and posted to the below address in Peterborough, which may talke longer in processing your order request.

Sage Publications Ltd
18 Titan Drive
PETERBOROUGH
PE1 5XN
United Kingdom

Please also provide us with an address for delivery.

Kindly contact us for any further assistance.

Thanks & Regards

Customer Services Department
SAGE
Tel: +44 (0)20 7324 8701
Fax: +44 (0)20 7324 8733
http://www.uk.sagepub.com" EDIT: direct email without having to go via their website is: orders@sagepub.com People might not wish to send card details by email however?????

Last edited:

trishrhymes

PACE on its own might not be one of the biggest medical scandals - if it had been quickly realised to be methodologically flawed and a null trial and sunk into rapid obscurity it would simply have been a huge waste of money.

It is the repercussions of PACE - the way it holds sway over the NHS, Cochrane, NICE etc that make what might have been a badly executed worthless waste of money into a massive scandal ruining hundreds of thousands of lives all over the world.

And the scandal shows no signs of abating. Look at the fiasco of the latest NICE review process, shrouded in secrecy and holding GETSET up as the next big thing to take into account - showing they have learned nothing.

It is all so dangerous and unethical it beggars belief.

Countrygirl

PACE on its own might not be one of the biggest medical scandals - if it had been quickly realised to be methodologically flawed and a null trial and sunk into rapid obscurity it would simply have been a huge waste of money.

It is the repercussions of PACE - the way it holds sway over the NHS, Cochrane, NICE etc that make what might have been a badly executed worthless waste of money into a massive scandal ruining hundreds of thousands of lives all over the world.

And the scandal shows no signs of abating. Look at the fiasco of the latest NICE review process, shrouded in secrecy and holding GETSET up as the next big thing to take into account - showing they have learned nothing.

It is all so dangerous and unethical it beggars belief.

:thumbsup: