• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial commentaries in the Journal of Health Psychology to be made open access

Chrisb

That would, if this theory is right, qualify it as bullshit.

I do wish members would try to keep up. We cannot hope to be taken seriously by academia so long as we fail to use accepted gender neutral terminology. We should not seek to diminish the contributions to the oeuvre made by females whose noxious effluent is of equal demerit to that of their male counterparts.

With this intent I propose that the term "bullshit" should, wherever it appears, be replaced by the term "cattleshit", which should hereinafter be deemed the sole appropriate term for use in this context.

(Sorry. I have been reading too much about matters of major concern in our leading universities.)

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
With this intent I propose that the term "bullshit" should, wherever it appears, be replaced by the term "cattleshit", which should hereinafter be deemed the sole appropriate term for use in this context.
I would go one step further and argue for species neutrality. I find the expression "cattleshit" diminishes the contributions made by domesticated canines at the expense of domesticated felines - what about "doggleshit"? I would therefore like to suggest "pettleshit" as a compromise, although I do accept that phonetically this may sound flowerist to some.

Molly98

I would go one step further and argue for species neutrality. I find the expression "cattleshit" diminishes the contributions made by domesticated canines at the expense of domesticated felines - what about "doggleshit"? I would therefore like to suggest "pettleshit" as a compromise, although I do accept that phonetically this may sound flowerist to some.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
All this categorising of shit is bringing back memories of when my daughter was around the age of 2 and being potty trained and each time she did a poo in her potty she would turn round, take a close look and announce with great pride as to whether it was a baby, mummy, daddy or Grandad size poo.
Grandad size poos were quite obviously the highest ranked in her classification system of poo and met with a great excitement, rejoicing and sense of achievement. In fact, when we visited Granny and Grandad she would even tell him with great pride, she had done a Grandad sized poo in her potty the other day.

I think this theory would classify as a great big whopping grandad size shit.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
All this categorising of shit is bringing back memories of when my daughter was around the age of 2 and being potty trained and each time she did a poo in her potty she would turn round, take a close look and announce with great pride as to whether it was a baby, mummy, daddy or Grandad size poo.
Well that's just great. Ignore Granny completely. Typical.

Molly98

Well that's just great. Ignore Granny completely. Typical.
:lol::lol::lol:
I know I was wondering about this myself, as she was equally fond of her Granny. My only theory was that Granny is far too prim and proper. She probably knew grandad's reaction would be to laugh and share her pride, whereas Grannys reaction to be included in the poo classification would be of horror and mortification and it would have been met with disapproval.

ladycatlover

Or you could use the term my Mum taught me when I was little - gogslosh. See a cow pat on the path and it was "Mind the gogslosh." I guess that maybe one of her brothers made it up when they were little.

Barry53

How about simplifying it a bit further ... "shit".

me/cfs 27931

I propose the gender-neutral term of "peer reviewed poo", or "Peerpoo" for short. There are many ways to peer review poo: sniff it, touch it, squish it, fling it, lick it. Just don't step in it.

Unlike ordinary poo, Peerpoo becomes a thing of beauty. Ordinary poo is published on round cylinders of fragile paper. Peerpoo gets published in the Lancet and the Journal of Health Psychology.

Last edited:

Dolphin

I have long wondered - what is the F/M ratio of this board? Even excluding the non-patients among us it seems way more even than 80:20.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...bers-server-statistics-etc.50334/#post-830102

Gender Ratio - Active in the Last Month (bottom line is where members have not specified gender):
upload_2017-3-29_18-50-59.png

me/cfs 27931

Oooh. I wonder how that compares to the real demographics of ME.
My experience with online communities suggests that women sometimes identify as male, to avoid unwanted harassment and attention. This is particularly true in gaming communities.

I also suspect that most of the 21% unspecified gender are female. Being male, I can't think of any reason not to identify as male. But my understanding is it's much different for women joining online communities for the first time.

Just suggesting the possibility the reported numbers might be skewed towards male.

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
My experience with online communities suggests that women sometimes identify as male, to avoid unwanted harassment and attention. This is particularly true in gaming communities.

I also suspect that most of the 21% unspecified gender are female. Being male, I can't think of any reason not to identify as male. But my understanding is it's much different for women joining online communities for the first time.

Just suggesting the possibility the reported numbers might be skewed towards male.

I switched to male to see if ppl would stop MEsplaining ME to me ;)