• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE Trial and PACE Trial Protocol

RogerBlack

I'd like to make an image which highlights empirical criticism of the PACE trial.

Would someone be able to talk me through the graph below?
Thanks!

In short.
SMC=standard medical care (essentially nothing)
APT= adaptive pacing therapy
CBT= cognitive behavioural therapy
GET = graded exercise therapy.

CBT is encouraging the patient to ignore their symptoms and push on, giving specious reasons.
GET is the same, but with a gloss that it's about exercise.

The initial bars (blue) are the improvement that was claimed on the initial paper.
The bars in red are the improvement that was found if you take the data and then apply the thresholds they said they were going to be applying initially, but changed partway through as they diddn't think they looked good enough.
Tehre are many, many massive problems with this study as outlined in this thread, and the special issue of this journal.
http://journals.sagepub.com/toc/hpqa/22/9

Would someone be able to provide a critique of the PACE trial in 2 paragraphs, approximately 100 words in total, along with a title and subtitle? I presume this will depend on what data is highlighted. Is it best to focus on recovery rates or improvement rates (see charts below)?

Also, how much did the trial cost?

At the very bottom is a draft version of the infographic I'm designing. The explanatory paragraphs will be placed in the top and bottom boxes.

Thanks

Attachments

• Recovery rates.jpg
    Recovery rates.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 19
  • Improvers.JPG
    Improvers.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Pace Exp 1 - PR Draft 1.png
    Pace Exp 1 - PR Draft 1.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 20

Dolphin

RogerBlack

I may have missed it - it's been a while since I read the thread in full.
Do we have any of the peer review reports on the publication of the PACE trials, and surrounding correspondance with editors from FOIA?