• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE Trial and PACE Trial Protocol

Kati

Patient in training
This has just published. It is behind a paywall, so I am not sure if it is a commentary or a peer-reviewed paper.

The PACE trial missteps on pacing and patient selection

Leonard A Jason

Abstract
As others have pointed out a variety of complicating factors with the PACE trial (e.g. changing outcome criteria), I will limit my remarks to issues that involve the composition of adaptive pacing therapy and issues involving patient selection. My key points are that the PACE trial investigators were not successful in designing and implementing a valid pacing intervention and patient selection ambiguity further compromised the study’s outcomes.

lilpink

The PACE team will let you borrow some flour and milk, as long as you bake what they want, and invite them round to eat it.

..and despite the fact that the people who gave them the money to buy those ingredients want the PACE team to share the cake with all their neighbours & friends...

Edit: yes I suppose the PACE team DO only want to share it with their friends. But that wasn't what they signed up to do when they engaged with the MRC.

user9876

It looks like this may be new. PACE with guidance on their data sharing policy:

http://www.wolfson.qmul.ac.uk/images/pdfs/pace/PACE Data Sharing Policy.pdf

Google has no record of it until recently.

The document seems to have been created on the 17th of Jan 2017

I suspect this clause would be in violation of the data protection act

Data will be provided with personal identifiers removed.
Applicants must agree not to use the data to identify individual patients, unless this is a pre-specified purpose for record linkage.

They did not get consent for sharing personal data with others so they cannot share. They can share most variables as it is not personal data but here they seem to be suggesting they would share personal information here with the right plam.

Otherwise they seem to be treating data as if it belonged to them personally rather than generated as a result of government grants whilst they were being paid for by the government and as a result of experimenting on patients.

Basically they are saying they will pick and choose who can analyze data and then they ask to vet results prior to publication. The document in itself however is an admission that the data is not personal data and therefore does not come under the data protection act. Hence they are basically admitting they are just controlling access to the data.

user9876

It would be interesting to see a list of researchers they've denied access to the data.
Though I suspect they would - arguably reasonably - not be able to release the names.

Also it would be interesting to see a list of who they have shared data with (and what bits). They claim to have shared it with independent scientists but only ever quote Cochrane and had to drop the independent label there as they were involved in the protocol design.

I can think of three (possibly 4) people they have turned down without reason or even offering to share data under a confidentiality agreement.

Barry53

Also it would be interesting to see a list of who they have shared data with (and what bits). They claim to have shared it with independent scientists but only ever quote Cochrane and had to drop the independent label there as they were involved in the protocol design.

I can think of three (possibly 4) people they have turned down without reason or even offering to share data under a confidentiality agreement.
Presumably (some of?) the other researchers who accessed the data would also have spotted the absurdity of the PACE authors' published results. Which would be another reason the PACE authors would not wish to reveal them; otherwise by now I suspect they would have been unable to resist finding a way to reveal them as supporters. Such researchers might themselves wish to stay out of the limelight, either because they did not spot what they should have done, or because they did but stayed silent about it.