• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE Trial and PACE Trial Protocol

Bob

Last edited:

Dolphin

I've only skimmed this but looks like Mr Matthees is making interesting points. This is from an e-mail alert I set up for the request.
Subject: Your WhatDoTheyKnow email alert

New updates for the request 'Selected data on PACE Trial participants'

======================================================================

Mr Matthees added an annotation (15 December 2014)

"QMUL have refused this request but I want to post an update for

the record. I still maintain that QMUL have failed to provide

convincing reasons why..."

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/selected_data_on_pace_trial_part#comment-55843

Mr Matthees added an annotation (15 December 2014)

"A few more links that others may find useful: The European

Medicines Agency (http://www.ema.europa.eu) are now backing public

access to clinical tria..."

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/selected_data_on_pace_trial_part#comment-55844

Dolphin

From the latest mediators paper:

What fun: another mediation paper to look forward to.
Finally, in this analysis we focused on single mediators and the effects of some of these variables are not likely to be independent. Our forthcoming analysis of multiple mediator effects will provide more information on this issue.

Dolphin

Here's a file with all the questionnaires that were used in the PACE Trial. It can be easier to get on top of things with it I think. Also it's a useful source for questionnaires that are used in various other ME/CFS papers:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/599406/PACE-Trial-Protocol-searchable-pdf.html

It may have been uploaded before but no harm posting it again I think.

[I can't upload it to PR - at 13.34 MB it is said to be too big]

Aurator

It's a small matter perhaps, and others are bound to know better than I do, but can anyone say whether the quantity of likes obtained by each respondent on the rapid responses page will have a direct influence on which responses get selected for the print publication, and whether the number of likes each response has received will actually be indicated in the print publication?

My only thought is that if readers of the print version are unable to see how many people favoured or did not favour certain responses it will deny them valuable insight into the relative levels of support (by experts and non-experts alike) for the different views expressed.

Tom Kindlon

It's a small matter perhaps, and others are bound to know better than I do, but can anyone say whether the quantity of likes obtained by each respondent on the rapid responses page will have a direct influence on which responses get selected for the print publication, and whether the number of likes each response has received will actually be indicated in the print publication?

My only thought is that if readers of the print version are unable to see how many people favoured or did not favour certain responses it will deny them valuable insight into the relative levels of support (by experts and non-experts alike) for the different views expressed.
The likes don't show up in the print edition.

BMJ letters have an unofficial word limit of 250-300. Sometimes the editors might try to edit down a letter a bit. But I can't see them doing it with Carloyn's letter or my own. I doubt the like count has much if any bearing on what is selected to be printed.

Aurator

I doubt the like count has much if any bearing on what is selected to be printed.
That's as I suspected.
And neither should it. It is not a popularity contest.
In an ideal world it shouldn't be. If I wasn't aware how unjustifiably popular biopsychosocial theories about ME are in the NHS, the DWP, and central government, I too wouldn't hesitate to say that the wider popularity of what gets printed about ME in the BMJ should count for nothing.