• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE-gate ……. More wrongdoings? – PARTICIPANT NUMBERS seemingly just DON’T ADD UP

A.B.

To this end, FOI requests have been made by different parties to each of the participating centres (i.e. the Trusts involved) for their participant numbers and these responses also strongly suggest that the figures do not add up.

I see what you're saying now.

May I suggest making this the central piece of information in future discussions? ie. that participant numbers as told by the treatment centers don't match what is reported in published articles on PACE.

(or people whose concentration runs out after a few paragraphs can easily misunderstand, like I did)

Barry53

To have any argument worth arguing and not risk getting shot down in flames, the data sources have to be unimpeachable. The above worries (especially as journalism and accuracy tend to be like oil and water) me where it says:-
It involved major scientists, universities from across the UK, including Edinburgh, and 600 patients – 100 of whom were based in the Capital.
  • Round numbers, like 100, always make me suspicious for things like this, especially when ...
  • They use a round number of 600 which we know was not right.
Unless we can rely on the numbers going in, any result coming out will be unreliable.

The value of "around 70" sounds more valid.

Barry53

I'm sorry but I don't think this goes anywhere.

The value of 70 is "around 70" so let's say it is 71.

The value of 100 is dubious I think, especially as the other number is 600. Let's say it was 102.

You could then have:-

135 + 63 + 71 + 102 + 135 +135 = 641.

Although these will not be the actual figures, suspect the truth is along those lines.

Edit: I realise others have got there before me.

Barry53

Hi, might have found the table you are meaning with the number of trial participants to centres. If you click the link ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399914001883 ) then go to the top of Table B. It's from the adverse events paper. If you add up the participants experiencing less than 4 and more than 4 adverse events then that should give you how many participants were at each centre. Kx
So this gives:-

110 + 108 + 135 + 113 + 111 + 63 = 640

Edit: Corrected my silly mistake!

Last edited:

Jenny TipsforME

I've found this hard to follow too, though very intriguing. So there's information to suggest that the total participants supplied from the treatment centre sites under FOIA doesn't add up to the numbers quoted in PACE publications? How many people are missing/wrongly placed?

user9876

No. I have exact numbers which match entirely (bar one) with the Table provided earlier in this thread. There are no 'ifs' and 'buts'. It's not a question of fuzzy numbers at all. It's a question for the PACE PI's to explain missing data sets.

Can you give the numbers if it is an FoI then the data is considered in the public domain.

It may be worth looking at each center and what treatments they carried out. I think Barts is GET and Kings CBT. I assume the SMC and APT were split between them but not sure. I wonder if one figure is off (say from Barts) if that is a figure for those in an active treatment group rather than SMC.

user9876

I really doubt it.
If it was clear fraud they were covering up, the researchers would have been thrown under the bus.
Actual flat out making up data is a whole different class from 'disagreements over interpretation of data'.

For clear fraud to be found someone would have to look. I thing that QMUL didn't bother to look and nor did the MRC. But I don't think there was fraud - the results are so poor which is why they had to do such blatant spinning. If there was any made up figures they could have avoided this. I suspect that White and co think they are being honest and believe they are justified in manipulating results partly because they believe and partly because they think everyone does it.

Barry53

Nope ...the data shouldn't lie. Bear in mind this is all based on data either they have presented in published papers or Trusts have delivered courtesy of FOIA requests. Trust me... there isn't a simple answer to this which doesn't make them look dodgy in one way or another.
In that case I suggest being extremely careful that the FOI responses you get reveal all the participants handled at each centre, over the whole time period, because the recruitment was phased I believe? Would be a devil if a "vexatious response" to a FOI request misled you, by not asking exactly the right FOI question, and them exploiting that to be selective about the data they give you.