• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

P2P workshop Dec. 9 & 10, 2014

Nielk

High comorbidity of CFS and fibromyalgia. Could treatments of fibromyalgia help with CFS?

Nielk

Clinical comorbidity.

Cancer and depression. Patients with both will not fare as well as patients with cancer alone.

Nielk

Study on impact of CFS with or without fibromyalgia. The ones with both were more severely affected. ( really surprising!)

I don't understand how comorbidity studies can be helpful here when they haven't yet satisfactorily defined the main illness of ME/CFS. First get the definition sorted out (ideally adopt the CCC), do some quality studies on ME/CFS using that definition, and maybe EVENTUALLY comorbidity research will make sense.

Nielk

Familial comorbidity.

When one has a condition another might be found in another member of the family. Twin studies her again!

Multiple conditions show up in families.

Nielk

Genetic factor between CFS, pain, INS, depression, anxiety disorders.

Nielk

She is promotingAPP style research.

I guess this afternoon is a promotion for this type of research.

Wally

Niloofar Afari
"Future Directions"
- MAPP style collaborations
- Comorbidity research to better understand mechanisms and risk
- Prospective observational studies to understand natural history with and without comorbidities
- Clinical trials specifically designed to address cormorbid conditions
- Twin and genetic studies to identify potential treatment segments

Hope123

I'm not listening in but have scanned the evidence review briefly, and am generally pleasantly surprised. Glad to see Rituximab mentioned several times, and the flaws of PACE included....

I have not scanned the FINAL report yet but I can tell you that there was a LOT of action behind the scenes from patients, clinicians, advocates, and researchers to assure that Rituximab was mentioned as well as the flaws of PACE. Many people sent e-mails during the AHRQ evidence review draft comment period and I hope that had some impact on the review.

If you like that Rituximab and the flaws of PACE was mentioned, tell the powers that me that you liked that part. There is one month after the NIH P2P report during which the public can comment. I don't think the link is published yet as the report is not out but look for it.

Given the poor energy levels I have, like the rest of you, one lesson I have learned over time is to voice my concerns not just with sympathetic people, like on this forum, but at the people who need to hear it.