• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

P2P workshop Dec. 9 & 10, 2014

Nielk

(Slides back)
oxidative stress turn inflammatory molecules that influence auto anti bodies.

Autoimmunity altered by genetic factors either positively or negatively.

Probiotics could influence the micro biome and prevent disease - with brain dysfunction.

Nielk

Many studies have been done with microbione for mecfs.

Wide look at triggers iof immune dysfunction. Immune markers. Auto anti bodies.

Looking for many pathogens. Herpes viruses, retro viruses. Found very little found in serum.

Montoya samples found very little in pAthogens.

melamine

Who are these people? I've never heard of anyone except for Hornig and Vernon, and Vernon has an iffy track record as far as supporting real research.

Who are they? I can only comment on one, Benjamin Natelson, who is attached to one of the hospitals in NY. I will preface by saying that I have a decades-long history of post-viral CFS (with encephalitis), followed about 18 years later by a degenerative period that is even more consistent with ME. Most of my symptoms were directly associated with infections or other medical events and definitive points in time.

Dr Natelson is involved in a CFS study that sounded decently useful, so I went to see him last June for the purpose of being evaluated for inclusion in it. I offered to provide any of the many test results I've had in recent years, including those demonstrating chronic immune abnormalities. None were requested and no more than a superficial history was taken, after which Dr Natelson told me I was excluded. Based on?.....too many symptoms? Too many complications from long-standing neglect?...He didn't say directly, but recommended psychotherapy after giving me a dose of the usual - though shocking in this instance -"When did you go on disability, what were you doing before that, why haven't you been working", etc. Zero interest in critical - medical - aspects of my history.

dancer

One of the P2P panel members asked if Dr. Natelson's studies (which he shared today) were included in their review. Nope, they were excluded (she can't remember why).

Nielk

How long between test and retest of patients on exercise testing?

Longer than three months but not sure.

Nielk

Smith -

Great question. Mixed results in trials of CBT. The combination showed positive results. Why patients report differently is explained well.

We have seen that counseling showed improvement but not cure.