• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ozone Therapy for Belongings

Hi everyone.

A little background: A few years ago I got quite sick from a black mould exposure. Typical stuff: MCS, food allergies, lots weird immune things and neurological issues, candida, some kind of bacterial infection. I still struggle, but I've seen a lot of improvement as well.

Anyway, I moved into a new apartment. I'd previously gotten rid of most of my stuff that was in the mouldy place, except for a few of my favourite belongings--mostly guitars, amps, stereo stuff. I thought maybe I could tolerate them. Turns out no. Oops! I had a pretty serious reaction: uncontrollable anxiety, confusion, burning etc. I wrapped everything in heavy duty shrink wrap (the kind you wrap skids in) and have been selling off things since. My symptoms are more or less down to what they were before. The more I get rid of the larger items (a desk, some big speaker towers, the guitar cases--not yet the guitars), the better I feel. Now I don't feel the guitars affecting me too much (I think being protected by thick laquer helps), though I'm sure they are to at least some degree, that it's just hard to measure. I'd really like to keep a few of these things. There's a couple guitars I have a pretty long and deep connection with. I'm hoping if I get rid of everything else, I'll be able to tolerate a couple things.

Has anybody tried putting their things in an ozone machine? They use them for sports equipment and things like that. It kills anything living, but I'm not sure what it would do for any residual toxicity.

Thoughts?

*GG*

I think hunters can use an Ozone machine, supposed to get rid of scents. Perhaps you can look into that?

GG

perrier

Hi everyone.

A little background: A few years ago I got quite sick from a black mould exposure. Typical stuff: MCS, food allergies, lots weird immune things and neurological issues, candida, some kind of bacterial infection. I still struggle, but I've seen a lot of improvement as well.

Anyway, I moved into a new apartment. I'd previously gotten rid of most of my stuff that was in the mouldy place, except for a few of my favourite belongings--mostly guitars, amps, stereo stuff. I thought maybe I could tolerate them. Turns out no. Oops! I had a pretty serious reaction: uncontrollable anxiety, confusion, burning etc. I wrapped everything in heavy duty shrink wrap (the kind you wrap skids in) and have been selling off things since. My symptoms are more or less down to what they were before. The more I get rid of the larger items (a desk, some big speaker towers, the guitar cases--not yet the guitars), the better I feel. Now I don't feel the guitars affecting me too much (I think being protected by thick laquer helps), though I'm sure they are to at least some degree, that it's just hard to measure. I'd really like to keep a few of these things. There's a couple guitars I have a pretty long and deep connection with. I'm hoping if I get rid of everything else, I'll be able to tolerate a couple things.

Has anybody tried putting their things in an ozone machine? They use them for sports equipment and things like that. It kills anything living, but I'm not sure what it would do for any residual toxicity.

Thoughts?
I have twice now hired someone to Ozonate our house. Very effective. But we had to leave for the night.

I have twice now hired someone to Ozonate our house. Very effective. But we had to leave for the night.
Interesting. For stuff, they put your things inside a cabinet that's ozonated. They do 15 minutes I think. I wonder how long my stuff should be in there for, I wonder...

How bad would you say your sensitivity is and how much was it remedied?

perrier

Interesting. For stuff, they put your things inside a cabinet that's ozonated. They do 15 minutes I think. I wonder how long my stuff should be in there for, I wonder...

How bad would you say your sensitivity is and how much was it remedied?
Did this for my daughter who is ill.

perrier

She could tolerate the air in the house after the ozonation,couldn't before

It didn't change her illness status

It made the air more tolerable

I would do this regularly if I were rich,that's how good I found it

Forebearance

I've heard that ozoning items can help denature the mold toxins stuck to them. But ozone only works on exposed surfaces. So if there is a flap, a drawer, etc. that is covered up it won't get the ozone.

I've also heard reports that ozoning can age plastics a lot. I wonder if it could also age other materials.
I hope it works for you if you try it!

perrier

Has anyone here done ozone sauna
My daughter found it really helped
But effect did not stay

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone here done ozone sauna
My daughter found it really helped
But effect did not stay
I did a lot of them. But I found that rectal ozone was more helpful. I also found that the effects didn't last and one had to KEEP DOING IT to sustain the benefits.

Hip

It may be cheaper to buy a Chinese ozone generator on eBay. Ones that deliver 400 mg to 600 mg of ozone per hour can cost as little as $20. More powerful professional units that deliver 4,000 mg per hour cost around $70.

I have used such machines to pump ozone into a moldy room (I sealed the door with sticky tape to prevent the ozone entering the rest of the house).

You can also use these machine to make ozonated water to drink.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've heard that ozoning items can help denature the mold toxins stuck to them. But ozone only works on exposed surfaces. So if there is a flap, a drawer, etc. that is covered up it won't get the ozone.

I've also heard reports that ozoning can age plastics a lot. I wonder if it could also age other materials.
I hope it works for you if you try it!

This is good to know. I'll look into this. If it destroys my gear, it might not be worth doing.

It may be cheaper to buy a Chinese ozone generator on eBay. Ones that deliver 400 mg to 600 mg of ozone per hour can cost as little as $20. More powerful professional units that deliver 4,000 mg per hour cost around $70.

I have used such machines to pump ozone into a moldy room (I sealed the door with sticky tape to prevent the ozone entering the rest of the house).

Oh this is good to know! I wish I had a shed to put my stuff into with the machine. Did taping off the room keep the ozone out of the rest of the house? Could you still smell it? I suppose I could put my stuff in the washroom of my apartment... How long of an exposure to ozone, do you think my stuff needs to get it thoroughly cleansed? And do you think it would require regular ozone treatments?

Hip

Did taping off the room keep the ozone out of the rest of the house? Could you still smell it?

Yes, it was very effective in preventing the ozone from entering the rest of the house, although if you put your nose close to the edge of the taped off door, you could detect a tiny bit of ozone.

How long of an exposure to ozone, do you think my stuff needs to get it thoroughly cleansed?

Not sure exactly. I think that will depend also on how much ozone your machine pumps out. My machine pumps out 400 mg of ozone per hour, and I would give rooms two or three hours worth of ozone pumped out from my machine.

Probably best to check with companies that do this professionally; ask them how much ozone their machines pump out per hour in terms of mg of ozone, and ask them how long they expose the rooms to this ozone (if you get any answers, please post!).

The half life of ozone in indoor air is around 7 and 10 minutes,1 so once you turn the ozone generator machine off, most of the ozone will have gone within a few hours.

Gingergrrl

Has anyone found that an ozone machine removed the smell from paint, VOC's or other chemicals from construction in a home (like new walls, ceilings, carpets, etc). We tried this twice (with no one present during or after so it was safe) but it did zero for the smell. We are moving to a new unit in 2-3 wks but am concerned about the smell staying on our belongings.

Forebearance

Has anyone found that an ozone machine removed the smell from paint, VOC's or other chemicals from construction in a home (like new walls, ceilings, carpets, etc). We tried this twice (with no one present during or after so it was safe) but it did zero for the smell. We are moving to a new unit in 2-3 wks but am concerned about the smell staying on our belongings.
I had good luck removing chemical type smells with an air filtering machine that had a VOC filter in it.

junkcrap50

She could tolerate the air in the house after the ozonation,couldn't before

It didn't change her illness status

It made the air more tolerable

I would do this regularly if I were rich,that's how good I found it

What was the reason for ozonating's the whole house? What was your daughter reacting to? Mold?