• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxygen Concentrators

Learner1

Although the post was originally a question about oxygen concentrators, @Learner1, I would like to hear a little more about ozone... is there a device like an oxygen concentrator that you can get for home use that produces ozone instead of O2? Or would you have to go to a special clinic or something to get this kind of therapy?

I have seen ozone generators that are designed to get rid of bad odors, for use at, say, a gymnasium or something. But I haven't heard of one like an oxygen concentrator that you hook up to yourself in your own home and breath in the ozone... can you please aware me if there is something like this out there?

@bertiedog, thanks for sharing your experiences. It might well be worth me trialing one for a month. If I were to, how long, in your estimation, would I need to use it for in order to say for sure that it is either giving me benefit or not giving me benefit? And: are there any warnings associated with just sorting it all out by yourself? Are you in any danger of "over-oxygenating" yourself, or something?

I'd posted 3 articles above that describe the different methods of using oxygen/ozone and what they are used for.

You can buy or rent a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for your home, which uses an oxygen concentrator. It looks like a 9 foot long duffle bag and you lay inside it. They're expensive, but I go to a nearby center offering 1 hour sessions for $40.

I've found I have amazingly good naps in it and it has been helpful with my infections, though it takes doing it for many sessions to benefit. Its good for wound healing and traumatic brain injuries. A large hospital in my city has a big one they can wheel hospital beds into and apparently Medicare covers it for certain uses

I have also had ozone in IV format and ultraviolet blood irradiation which helps your immune system and kills bacteria and viruses.
There's a 10 pass modality that is supposed to be more effective, but there are only s couple clinics in the US who have it - a friend with chronic EBV went to one for 3 weeks and came back feeling better than she had in 20 years, virus gone.

Prolozone is an injectible form, where its used with nutrients, and injected into sites to promote healing and control pain. I've had it done on my neck after a serious car accident and on my leg where I had a pinched nerve. Quite effective as an alternative to opioids.

Frank Schallenberger was the originator of prolozone and there a great story of how he started using it on patients if you Google him. Robert Rowan is the US guru for ozone, but its used pretty widely in Germany, Cuba, and Russia, so you may find more info there.

Its all about what problem you're trying to solve. If you regularly show low oxygen saturation or have COPD, then get yourself an oxygen tank or concentrator and a mask.

If you have some other problem, then look into the other modalities.

Most of the time, the oxygen/ozone does good things. However, if you do a lot over s period of time, as I have, you may become depleted in antioxidants, and may need to bump up vitamins A, C, E, alpha lipoic acid and glutathione to balance.

Daffodil

@Avena my doc just suggested this and I would like to buy or rent a Krober machine too...but this looks like its only in Europe. I think the antibiotics have stopped working well on my gut bacteria because now I have large amounts and even new ones overgrowing. maybe that is why he wants me to take it?

Its good to know that it helps you. Are you in Europe?

Thanks!

David Jackson

@Daffodil, no, not yet.

Based on the feedback I received here, I thought that it's not all that likely to give me much of a boost, and I decided to focus on something that is likely to help me out more, and just do one thing at a time, so I can tell what is helping me. So the focus at the moment is homeopathy. And it might actually be helping; have had good energy levels all week. When I've gleaned what I can here, I will return to oxygen, and a few other things I was looking at beforehand, but I really need to be able to tell whether this homeopathy is helping me out, so I know whether to continue with this homeopath, see another different one, etc.

Daffodil

Well I am still confused. It would cost me $370 to rent a concentrator for 2 months. It would cost about $980 to buy the same one. Should I rent it to see if it helps or should I just buy one? I don't even think they allow returns...

Maybe I should rent it. Here, you legally cannot get one without a prescription but there is this ad online saying this one place will do it (I could get a Rx if I needed one). When they called back, the guy said he is a respiratory therapist so he is allowed. There is no message on the answering machine either....weird. The other legit sounding places charge double to rent ugh

David Jackson

Hi @Daffodil, what if you bought it new (assuming that it is new?) and, if it doesn't give you any improvement, you just sell it second hand for $800?

That way you would only loose $180, instead of $370... that's probably what I'd do... but then you also have to look at the chances you'll be able to sell it second hand.

Whether you rent or buy, would you mind coming back to this thread, and sharing your experiences with the machine?

Daffodil

@David Jackson thanks:) I am actually hesitant to try and sell it second hand...there are a bunch of second hand ones for sale here and I don't want to risk it. I have tried to see if there are any testimonials online from people who used it for CFS or Lyme but there aren't many....there was one person who said it helped their gut issues, which might be why my doctor recommended it ..cuz of the overgrowth of anaerobes etc. I also read it helps detoxify or something...I am a little skeptical but so far, most of what my doctor has said has been correct so I trust him.

I did read that its good to use it during exercise but that means I would need the very expensive ones that are portable, which I cannot purchase. I asked my doctor if I can use the concentrator while I nap...he said I could

I will probably end up buying a heavy stationary cheap one after I look into the return policy...

Wonder if it might help my chest pain too..

Will keep you posted
xo

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It would cost me $370 to rent a concentrator for 2 months. It would cost about $980 to buy the same one. Should I rent it to see if it helps or should I just buy one? I don't even think they allow returns.
Perhaps they would allow you to rent it for 2 months, then apply the $370 to the purchase price if you wanted to buy it. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Daffodil

@Little Bluestem i asked but there is no such policy at this place. one place has that but its $450/month for the cheapest model!

i ended up buying the cheapest one at the store but still have to read the manual....

xo

bertiedog

I don't believe an oxygen concentrator would be of any benefit unless your arterial oxygen saturation was low. Room air has an O2 concentration of 21 percent. For most people with normal lungs, their arterial saturation is usually above 97%. Adding additional O2 doesn't generally increase their O2 content of their blood

As stated before there is nothing wrong with my arterial saturation but I benefit hugely from breathing oxygen for around 25 minutes up to 3 times daily so I don't agree with your statement.

It puts back energy in my body which I will have used up say walking my dog for 25 minutes. I really notice the difference if I don't use it. Dr Bell called it cellular hypoxia.

Pam

bertiedog

I have just purchased another oxygen concentrator for a friend who has ME/CFS/Fibro plus lung issues. It was from EBay and cost £215 including delivery,. It's made in China by the same manufacturer of the one I have had for a year and has actually gone down in price.

For the benefits I get from breathing oxygen it's a great buy.

Pam

Butydoc

As stated before there is nothing wrong with my arterial saturation but I benefit hugely from breathing oxygen for around 25 minutes up to 3 times daily so I don't agree with your statement.

It puts back energy in my body which I will have used up say walking my dog for 25 minutes. I really notice the difference if I don't use it. Dr Bell called it cellular hypoxia.

Pam
Hi berierdog,

I see you disagree with my statement. Can you explain how the oxygen concentrator increases tissue oxygen to someone who has normal arterial O2 saturation? It is certainly ok to disagree and use your personal experience for your opinion, but this doesn't make sense physiologically. I'm certainly ok with learning something new.

Best,
Gary

bertiedog

@Butydoc I don't know the scientific explanation, all I can say is how it affects me and how I was advised to breath oxygen from a concentrator after the results of the Breakspear test on my autonomic system.

It especially helps my muscles which can be quite sore and painful after walking and on occasions the muscles in my neck can tighten up and be extremely painful for up to a week if I don't use it immediately after exercise.

Have you had a look at Dr David Bell's book "Cellular Hypoxia" because this is his explanation as to what is going on in ME/CFS?

Pam

Butydoc

@Butydoc I don't know the scientific explanation, all I can say is how it affects me and how I was advised to breath oxygen from a concentrator after the results of the Breakspear test on my autonomic system.

It especially helps my muscles which can be quite sore and painful after walking and on occasions the muscles in my neck can tighten up and be extremely painful for up to a week if I don't use it immediately after exercise.

Have you had a look at Dr David Bell's book "Cellular Hypoxia" because this is his explanation as to what is going on in ME/CFS?

Pam
Hi bertiedog,

I haven't read Dr. Bell's book, but may in the future. I'm basing my opinion on my 10-15 years experience as a Hyperbaric Oxygen consultant treating many different diseases.

Best,
Gary

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
@bertiedog, is your O2 concentrator noisy? When my dad had one, it was. We had a long tube for it and put it in another room with the door shut. I'm afraid if I had one in my apartment, the neighbor would complain.

Daffodil

oh no. i hope it isnt noisy. its the cheapest heaviest one so it might be lol. i should have thought of that and checked. i live in a small condo

looks like the manual is like 2 pages so shouldnt be too bad

update: on youtube it looks like its pretty quiet. its the philips everyflo Q

wonder if i am supposed to use humidifier with it or not. looks like i need distilled water for that...

Last edited: